The Jealousy Date

After training the next day, I didn't bother heading into the changing rooms with the rest of the team, instead opting to rush straight home and get prepared for my date with Gerard.

I took a quick shower, before applying minimal makeup and straightening my bleach blonde hair. The biggest task would be deciding what to wear, but I eventually decided long-sleeved, satin, lilac bodycon dress. I simply paired it with white converse as I wasn't a huge fan of wearing heels - in other words, I couldn't walk in them.

A light knock at my front door rushed me down the stairs. I opened it to reveal Gerard, dressed smartly in dark skinny jeans and a navy blue shirt; he'd certainly made an effort. He stared at me speechless, eventually finding words, to an extent. "Wow...you look...incredible", he stuttered, blushing as I giggled shyly.

Leaning towards me and pecking my cheek, the smell of his aftershave encircled me. I couldn't put a name to it, but the scent was sweet and Spanish, curling my lips into an approving smile. "You ready to go?". "Yeah", I replied, following Gerard down the driveway to his car.

...

We arrived at the restaurant and were seated immediately once Gerard informed the waiter of our reservations. Just as I was settled into my seat and Gerard was ordering the drinks, I spotted Ross sauntering into the restaurant.

A girl followed him in, clinging onto his arm. She was extremely pretty, causing me to feel a twinge of jealousy as I watched them together. It was as if Ross knew that I was here, his eyes scanning the room until they landed in me. Our gazes locked together, each of us making our thoughts clear to each other. A smirk spread across my face as I noticed his jealousy of Gerard, whilst one formed on his as he noticed mine of the girl.

"Kendall?", Gerard's voice switched my attention from Ross to him. "What?", I questioned, unsure of why him and the waiter were watching me impatiently. He laughed at my obliviousness, before asking, "What would you like to drink?". "Oh, erm, whatever he said", I told the waiter, gesturing to Gerard. He nodded, writing it down before scurrying off.

Luck was certainly against me, as Ross was sat to be facing me, signifying that I was in for an entire night of exchanged glances; it would almost be a competition to see who could make each other the most jealous.

Trying to focus on my actual date, I struck up conversation with Gerard. "I never said, you look really good tonight". I noticed him blush shyly, before his words announced his confidence. "Nothing compared to you Kendall, you're stunning". I bit the corner of my lip whilst he smiled flirtily, before pulling a rose out of goodness knows where.

"For you", he smiled, placing the rose between my fingertips. The petals were crystal white, each one curved perfectly into shape. I sniffed its heavenly scent in appreciation, my heart melting at his gesture. "Thank you, it's beautiful. How did you know white roses were my favourite?". Gerard smirked, clearly refusing to tell me. "A little birdie let it slip, but that's all I'm prepared to tell you".

I jokingly huffed in annoyance as Gerard left to the toilets, then took the opportunity of his departure to steal a glance at Ross.

He was already watching me, looking at the rose and then at me. "You told Gerard?", I mouthed in confusion. He shook his head slightly so as to not make it obvious to his date, but I understood the message. He hadn't told Gerard anything; Gerard must have overheard something between Ross and someone else.

...

The rest of the night consisted of light-hearted conversation between Gerard and myself, along with the occasional exchanged looks with Ross. The rose had clearly pushed Ross to the peak of jealousy, as I often spotted him glaring at Gerard, whilst he tried everything possible to enhance my jealousy.

After nothing seemed to make me feel the same hatred towards his date as he felt towards mine, Ross referred to his last resort. All of a sudden, he leant across the table and kissed his date, all the time keeping his eyes open and watching me as pain stabbed my heart.

A layer of tears glazed my eyes; I quickly wiped them away before turning to Gerard. "Do you mind if we leave now? I think I've eaten something that's given me a funny turn", I lied, using all of my effort to hold back the tears.

"Of course". Gerard quickly paid and followed me out of the restaurant. Whilst on my way out, I glared at Ross, who had now broken his kiss with the girl. He was eyeing me as I left, but I simply mouthed, "Too far" before storming out.