Chapter 3

I don't say anything, just quickly grab our backpacks and toss Ellie hers. She nods and catches her pack, silently swinging it over her shoulder. I hold a finger to my lips. gesturing for complete silence. It's important to be quiet because the infected have an extremely good sense of hearing. Ellie already knew my plan because we have that creepy sibling ability to read each other's minds. I gesture to follow me and stalk upstairs, the other two just slightly behind. Ella can't walk silently, so there's a soft thud every time her bad leg hits the ground. I quietly open a window that overlooks the woods. It squeaks ever so slightly, but loudly enough to attract the attention of several infected.

We're now running out of time.

I quickly climb out the window and onto the ledge, then turn around to face the window. I no longer care about being quiet, only getting everyone out of the house. My rifle makes a soft clink when my bag hits the side of the window. I look up to see that the roof is literally just out of my reach. I'm going to have to jump.

I swallow my nervousness and embrace my fear. One small slip of my foot and I'm dead.

If there's anything I've learned from the apocalypse, it's the fact that fear doesn't shut you down. It wakes you up.

My senses sharpened by imminent death, I jump up and grab the edge of the roof with both hands. I pull myself up, gritting my teeth from the sharp pain that shoots down my arm from my gunshot wound, and lay stomach down on the roof. Ellie climbs out onto the ledge next, clinging to the window frame, clearly terrified. I hold my good arm down to her. She looks up at me with an "are-you-kidding-me-I'm-never-letting-go-of-this-window-holy-crap-do-you-want-me-to-die?" expression. All I do is smile reassuringly and impatiently wave my arm around slightly, trying to remind her that we didn't have much time. She frowns, but gives in, grabbing my arm with both hands and wrapping her arms around it in a death grip. I pull her up to the roof with me, and rub my arm for a second to get circulation back into it.

Ella must have finally realized what we were doing, because when she shakily climbs onto the window's ledge, she's as white as a sheet of paper. She looks more terrified than Ellie. I lower my arm and so does Ellie, and we pull her up together.

Just in time. As soon as Ella sits down on the roof, I can hear the first walker grumble. However, I think we're relatively safe for the moment. I sit up and turn to face Ellie and Ella. I notice they look exhausted. 

Oh right, nobody got any sleep last night, I remember.

"You guys can sleep for a little. We have to head out before it gets dark though. I'll watch your backs for a while. I do have one request though," I say quietly.

"Yes?" asks Ellie, equally as quiet.

I grin as I whisper, "Don't fall off."