Chapter 6

"Daryl," a second man grumbles, coming to join the first one.

"Whateva li'l brutha," says the first guy. I now notice that he sounds kind of drunk.

"Ey, who're you?" The one named Daryl asks, now noticing us.

"We're none of your damn business," Ellie mutters. I elbow her softly to tell her to shut up and let me do the talking.

"I'm Kira," I inform them, undaunted by Daryl's crossbow, which was focused on my head. "That's Ellie, and that's Ella." I point to each of them as I say their names. Ella gives a small wave, and Ellie glares steadily at the ground. Probably angry that we got caught.

"Why're y'all here?" Daryl asks. I understand why he's the one doing the questioning. His brother appears to be hammered, considering the fact that he's mumbling to himself and attempting to walk away, but only managing to stagger around in circles.

"We're just passing through. Last time I checked, land couldn't be owned, considering the government no longer exists," I raise an eyebrow.

"Never said this was our land," Daryl says.

"You implied it," I counter.

"Wait, did you say 'our'?" Ellie asks.

"Ellie," I warn, glaring at Daryl.

She looks up at me to get my attention, and I turn away cautiously. "He said 'our'," she turns to Daryl, "are their others?"

Daryl hesitates. That's all Ellie needs for an answer. She grins. "Where?"

"Why should I tell ya?" Daryl asks.

"Because you're a good person?" Ellie tries. He just laughs.

"Because you don't want to die today?" I say, and Ellie elbows me in the ribs harshly to shut me up.

"Because you don't want our blood on your hands?" Ellie asks. He simply shrugs, not caring.

"Because we have more than enough supplies that we'd be happy to share, as long as the others of your group aren't asses like yourself," I say, nodding towards Ellie's super heavy backpack, also referring to my own.

"Hmm...." Daryl narrows his eyes at us, thinking over our offer. "Alright," he says after a minute, "on one condition; gimme yer weapons to hang on ta fer now." I hesitate, but then nod and hand over everything except the "just in case" knife in my boot. Ellie looks at me in disbelief before doing the same. I don't see her hand over her butterfly knife, but I keep that to myself.

"Follow me," Daryl says, and starts to head east. "Merle!" he yells to his brother, who starts to follow him like a lost dog. We follow soon after. I didn't want to be anywhere near either of them. I know we just met them, but I already don't like the brothers. I just get the feeling that they're bad news.