the sad.

days passed but nothing happened with the junkyard quite yet. millie would come over to the junkyard to get comfortable with my friends. i slept at millie's house most nights getting ready for a big transition. i spent a day painting millie's father's room from baby blue to white. and another day i spent painting millie's room from dark purple to cream. i could tell millie was nervous to bring new people into her home but i knew that it would be okay, and i told her that.
in the nights, we'd usually spend sitting on the bed in the master talking about real life things like we were 25. but we were ten years from that age. but i liked having those kinds of talks with millie, it meant to me that we were being serious even if we were the silliest people. we needed those talks to ensure a stable relationship.
months passed, i had gotten a raise at the thrift store shop. summer turned into fall, and fall turned into winter. hopper came around once a week. i barely ever saw him because i was working. but millie told me that hopper had become like a father figure to her. which made me happy that she felt good because she didn't have any type of family. millie was going to public school as i never went to school and plan on not going ever. i learned to read and write in the orphanage and i can do simple math, but that's about all. Ayla and i would talk twice every week and construction was about to start on the pawn shop.
one day after i came back from work, Ayla showed up unexpectedly,"finn, we need to talk,"she said somewhat scared.
she took me into the dining room and confessed,"i just thought you should know, our mother is dead."
my eyes widened,"marie's dead? how?"
she put a hand in her pocket,"her boyfriend found her dead with an empty bottle of pills in hand."
"how do you know this?"
"the one time i've ever gone to see mother and the boyfriend answers and tells me she's dead. so i'll never ever get to meet my mother."
"that's not a bad thing, Ayla,"i assured.
"but what i'm about to tell you is,"she paused,"i think i'm in love with you. don't hate me, finn, please."
i closed my eyes in hope that she didn't say that but she really did,"Ayla, we're siblings. we can't love each other and i'm dedicated to millie."
"i know, i know that. i just felt i needed to confess because i would rather not keep secrets from you."
"i want you to stay in my life but i think you need to stay away for a while, i need some time to heal and so do you. incest is not an option," i said as kindly as i possibly could to not let her down too harsh.
she took it well, got up and walked out. i didn't know when the next time i would see her would be.