Chapter Fifteen

~Jane~

"So, what you're telling me," Alex said, "is that you Dad just showed up out of nowhere, had sex with your Mom, and suddenly wants custody of you?"

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah. That's a much cruder version of it, but yeah." He shook his head.

"That's messed up." I took a bite of my Egg McMuffin, nodding.

"I didn't want to talk to Cash about it - I feel like I intruded enough last night." Alex rolled his eyes at me. He licked his fingers clean, balling up the wrapping paper to his sandwich and tossing it into the garbage can.

"You're wrong - Cash is crazy about you, Jane. I'm pretty sure he'd love to hear about your problems." He smirked. "Although I'm not complaining, being here with you will surely make Cash jealous when he finds out."

My eyes went wide and I shoved his shoulder when he made it clear that he was joking. "What's the deal with you and Cash anyway?" I asked and he shrugged nonchalantly.

"We used to be friends, and then Cash got popular, and I got in with some messed up stuff and I realized that people like Cash and people like me really couldn't be friends without our differences getting in the way."

I stared at him momentarily before sighing. "I guess that's something I'm worried about with Cash and I. But we're just so similar, you know? And now that I know he isn't even rich? I don't know how that really affects us."

Alex shook his head. "You have to understand, that's the difference between you and Cash - you both maybe be poor, but Cash thinks it's something to be ashamed of, while you don't. That's partly why he and I drifted apart, Jane. I don't see poverty as baggage. I see it as a badge. It's something you have to struggle with, and it should make you even prouder that you have lived this long and pushed past it."

"That's... really wise," I said, and then slid down off the McDonald's table. "We should get going," I told him, and he nodded slowly.

"Don't give up on Cash," Alex said, walking back to his car. "You and him... I've never seen him look at anyone the way he looks at you, Jane."

~Cash~

The next day at school, I spotted Jane at her locker. I walked over, opened up my own locker and smiled at her discretely.

"Hey beautiful," I said, and she blushed. "How are you feeling?" She stuffed her books into her locker, and gripped the door with her fingers.

"Better. Not better. I don't know. I don't want to go to class today," she said, and I felt this tug on my conscience.

"You wanna skip with me?" Her eyes went wide.

"I've never skipped school before." I shrugged.

"Me neither, but hey, how hard could it be?" Her eyes twinkled.

"Maybe we should ask Alex? I'm sure he knows how, to -"

"I'd rather not ask him for anything," I admitted, and she scrunched her face up at me.

"What? Why?"

"He and I don't exactly have the best relationship," I added, and she rolled her eyes.

"The male ego surprises me each day." I laughed.

"Maybe," I said, lowering my voice, "I just want to spend time with you. Alone."

Suddenly, Chris came bounding up to me and I flinched back from Jane a little. He clapped me on the shoulder.

"'Sup man? You up for a soccer scrimmage this weekend?" he asked and I'm sure indecision flashed through my eyes. Jane busied herself moving things around in her locker and I felt bad instantaneously.