Chapter Nineteen

~Cash~

"Sup, Cash," Chris said as he passed me in the hallway. I nodded my head at him, eyes scanning until they landed on her. Jane. She was talking to Alex, laughing, leaned up against her locker as he teased her.

I hated that I couldn't have that relationship with her. That I couldn't open about us. But being with Jane publicly could ruin everything, and I wasn't sure if I was willing to risk it yet.

I walked passed them slowly, making eye contact with Alex, and slowly turning to meet Janes eyes. She was blushing at something Alex had said, and when she looked at me, I saw a fire within her that I could never bring out. And then, I got jealous. Damn jealousy was going to be the death of me.

I walked over to Alex and Jane, and I could see the confusion in Jane's eyes.

"Hi," I said, looking at Alex, but clearly talking to her. She frowned, her eyebrows squeezing together.

"Hi, Cash," she murmured, and I chewed my lip.

"Can we hang out after practice?" I asked, and she paused.

"Well, no, I mean, my parent's are going to be home."

"When is Jake coming to town?" Alex asked her, and I frowned. I remebered her telling me he was coming, but nothing had happened yet. "Isn't he coming up this weekend?"

"He's not coming," she said, and sighed. "He called me yesterday and said he wasn't coming."

"What happned?" I asked, opening my locker, not looking at her.

"I don't know, he just called and said he wasn't coming."

"What about Jason? He say anything?" Alex asked.

"I don't know, alright? Jason hasn't talked to me since he figured out I was the one to tip Cash off about the attack in the lockerroom." I shut my eyes, leaning into my locker.

"So, I can't see you later?" I said ultimately, and she shook her head.

"Nope."

~Jane~

When Jake had called me yesterday, I had been stunned to say the least. He spoke as if nothing strange was going on between us.

"Jane," he said simply, "I can't come down this weekend."

The only way I had known he was coming in the first place was because he had sent me the most brief email detailing when he would be here.

"Oh, why not? I was looking forward to seeing you."

"Jane," he sighed. "You can't keep your hopes up about me. I'm thousands of miles away." I frowned.

"So you don't want to be friends anymore?"

"No! Jane, I know you've always liked me, and I'm saying you need to move o-"

I laughed plainly. "I have a boyfriend. His name is Cash. I never had a crush on you."

"Cash? As in, Anderson? Rich boy?"

"I have to go," I'd said suddenly, feeling sick. Jake didn't seem the way he used to. He used to be carefree and happy and always one to blow off the whole serious-romance conversation. Now, he seemed cocky and uptight.

"Jane, no, lets talk about-"

"Bye Jake."

»»»»

"Dad?" I said, curiously, when I walked in to find him seated on the couch. He gave me a small smile.

"Hey, sweetheart. How was school?" I shrugged, sitting a little ways away from him.