jealousy ≫ jancy

jealousy

o o o

Jonathan knew he wasn't good enough to be with someone like Nancy Wheeler. She was everything he wasn't. Popular, beautiful, normal. He was just the freak in the background, the guy that everyone whispered about but never spoke to. He'd never been good at interacting with... people... so usually he was labeled the 'loner stoner'.

When he thought back to the week where crazy was synchronized with perfect, Jonathan wanted to scream. He'd thought that things would be different, that maybe, for the first time in his miserable life, someone would be there for him. He'd have a friend. He'd have Nancy. They'd literally survived through a monster attack together. How does that not create a lifelong bond?

But life wasn't really any different. Will was back, and acting more distant than his usual... distance. And his mom was doing better than she had ever done before, actually taking care of her boys and spending time with them. It was a really nice change, having a parent around to take care of them for once. But... Jonathan was still alone.

"Mister Byers, do you know the answer?" Mrs. Schwartz asked, pulling Jonathan away from his depressing thoughts. His head whipped up quickly, his bangs flopping over his eyes lazily. I'll have to ask mom to trim them soon... he thought subconsciously.

"Um, what was the question...?" Jonathan mumbled, embarrassment making his cheeks heat up. He could hear his classmates snickering in the background, probably exchanging different variations of the last time he'd been caught smoking in the bathroom. People loved a juicy story.

Mrs. Schwartz tapped the top of her desk disappointedly, her fake nails pounding on the wood like hail clanging on a roof. She sighed and shook her head, clearly irritated. "I know that Chemistry isn't as exciting as a pack of weed, but please try to pay attention next time, Byers," she spat, gaining even more giggles than before.

"He was probably daydreaming about all the girls he's taken pictures of," some guy muttered behind him."

"Pervert," a girl sneered in agreement.

After a few more minutes of failing to block out the noises of his peers, the bell for 6th period rang, making Jonathan jump up from his desk as quickly as possible. He grabbed his stuff, let his gaze drop to the floor, and walked out of the room before anyone had the chance to terrorize him again.

"High school is crap," his mom would always say. "But life is diarrhea." Jonathan shuddered. His mom could be kind of disgusting sometimes...

"Byers!" a male voice yelled, forcing Jonathan to stop staring at the fascinating floor tiles and look up. He immediately wished he hadn't. Leaning against the wall was Steve, his arm slung possessively over Nancy's shoulder and a suspicious smile plastered onto his face.

His gaze flickered towards Nancy.

His Nancy.

Jonathan let his dark eyes meet her blue ones for a few heart stopping seconds, taking a million mental pictures to look at later. Those eyes. How was he supposed to speak with them right there, burning a hole into his ugly forehead?

He walked over to the couple slowly, his feet dragging like they were tied down by cement blocks. He wasn't in the mood for any of Steve's teasing, or any of Nancy's apologetic smiles. But gosh do I love those smiles...