fake boyfriend ≫ jancy

fake boyfriend

o o o

Nancy's hands were uncomfortably cold and clammy, making her whole body shudder against the frigid wind. She closed her eyes and let out a shaky breath, the memories from minutes ago flooding her mind unforgivingly.

"Nancy!" Steve shouted, running to catch up with me. I tried to walk faster without making it look obvious, silently telling myself to just ignore him. Maybe he'd go away.

"Nancy," a voice said, its hand tugging on my sleeve. Okay, maybe he wouldn't...

I gritted my teeth and turned to look at my ex boyfriend, not in the mood for him to suddenly stop pretending I didn't exist. He'd literally been ignoring me for months. I wanted nothing to do with him.

"What do you want, Steve?" I snapped, tightening my arms around my waist in an effort to make the anxiety go away. I felt like throwing up.

"I really miss you," Steve blurted, cutting right to the chase. His words made my mouth go dry, hitting my heart like a cement brick. "I think we should get back together."

I could feel my heart speed up. "I..." Breath, Nance. "I'm in a relationship."

Nancy shook her head at the memory. Why would she say that? What in the world had compelled her to say something so stupid?

Steve opened his mouth to say something, but then shut it again. He clenched his jaw and licked his lips, obviously shook by my words. My throat was completely dry now, and my pulse was pounding in my ears.

"What do you mean?" he finally asked, running his hands through his hair.

"I'm dating someone, Steve," I croaked, wincing at my own words. This was crazy. This was absolutely insane. I wasn't with anyone! I shouldn't have been saying I was!

"Tell me who it is," Steve demanded, his eyes now fierce and angry. I looked down at my hands, suddenly finding them extremely fascinating. Anything to avoid his gaze and show him how bad I was lying.

"Nancy," he said, his voice dropping a little. I bit my lip and looked up at him. "Just prove to me that you're actually with someone. If you are, I promise I'll leave you alone. Okay?"

I let out a shaky breath and nodded. "Yeah," I whispered. "Okay."

Nancy had no idea what to do. She'd promised Steve proof of a boyfriend, but she barely even knew any guys, let alone felt a romantic attachment to one. The only boys she knew were Mike, Lucas, Dustin, Will, and...

Oh.

o o o

"Hello Joyce, is, uh, Jonathan there?" Nancy asked, wrapping the rubber telephone chord around her finger nervously. It'd been almost a year since she'd talked to Jonathan, and she wasn't sure if he still had the same, um... feelings... for her as before.

"Yes... I'm sorry, but who is this?" Joyce asked, her voice muffled through the receiver.

Nancy squinted painfully. Of course Joyce wouldn't recognize her voice anymore. She'd been avoiding the Byers for a lot longer than she remembered.