Chapter 17- Words

*Jayda's POV*
*Continues where left off....

"Nurse Jay." Someone called.

I turned around from the files I was storing, to see one of the other Nurses in my ward, Amy.

"Yes?" I asked.

"You're needed in room 105." She said.

"Okay." I replied, closing the filing cabinet and making my way to the directed room.

"How may I help?" I asked, entering the room only to find my cousin, Owen.

"Hey Owen, what's up?" I asked, hugging him.

"Owen here has broken his arm, and I need you to set up his meds and vitals while I put the cast on. He had x-rays earlier and it's definitely broken. Straight in half." 

"Straight in half, eh?" I smirked, hooking up his meds in an IV.

"Yeah, Olivia shut my arm rolling up the window in the car." He explained.

"Wow." I chuckled, checking his vitals.

"Yeah, it hurt." He laughed.

"Yeah, I bet." I replied, telling him I'd be back later to check on him.

Next, I went to my next room to check on a little girl that reminded me a lot like Kinsie. She's nine years old and had heart surgery a few days ago.

"Hey Kelly, how are you feeling?" I asked.

"Fine." She replied, shifting in her bed a little.

"Are you in any pain?" I asked. I needed to make sure she was feeling okay.

"No, I think the medicine is still lasting for the most part." She answered.

"Okay, I'll give you another dose in 30 minutes." I said, walking out back to the Nurse's Station.

I can't help but think of that little girl, Kelly. I know she's doing good, but I feel bad for her. I can only pray to God that Kinsie and I are in good health, and stay that way. Because, God is good. When Kinsie was born, she had a breathing machine for the first two months of her life, was born at 26 weeks, (3 months early) had a hole in her eardrum, and weighed 2 and 1/2 pounds at birth, she was tiny. And, even though I only met her when she was 4, I'm so glad she's here, because she's truly a miracle.

*The Next Morning*
(July 18th, 2046)

"Can I call you Mum?" Kinsie asked.

I smiled and replied, "You can call me anything you like."

She smiled and nodded, unbuckling her seatbelt as we got closer to her school.

"Have a great day, sweetie." I said, stopping the car.

"You too, Mum." She smiled, hopped out, and waved.

The shivers ran down my body as I drove off to work, thinking of her words.