N for Neighbour - JackLu

Chapter 14
N for Neighbour
Lucy x Jackal

__________

"So you coming out tonight or what?" Gajeel asked loudly over the growling of his motorbike.

Jackal parked his own in front of his apartment building, taking off his helmet and shaking his hair out. "Out where?"

Gajeel rolled his eyes. "I told you, my sister just moved here and we're throwing her a welcome party at The Guild."

"Pass," Jackal snorted. "I don't feel like getting hammered four nights in a row."

Gajeel raised an eyebrow, taking off his own helmet. "Since when do you pass up on an offer to get hammered?"

"You know I'm not a fan of routines, man. Getting drunk, picking up a random chick, bringing her back here and having to deal with that mess in the morning," he groaned dramatically. "Boring."

"Yer a dick," Gajeel chuckled. "Whatever, see ya at work tomorrow."

"Later, loser."

The loud humming of Gajeel riding off into the darkness occupied the silent streets as Jackal jumped off his bike. He turned around to walk into his apartment building, only to be met with a small figure in his way.

"Jesus Christ!" He yelped, clutching his heart in shock as he met face to face with the intruder.

"Sorry! I didn't mean to scare you!" The girl cried out, clutching some kind of bowl to her chest. "My name is Lucy."

Jackal tried to control his breathing and his growing irritation at the girl in front of him. His eyebrow twitched as he answered her rudely. "Yeah, and what of it?"

Lucy's smile didn't falter as she gazed up at the man with shining eyes. "I'm your new neighbour. I live in the apartment opposite yours, so I thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself."

Jackal rolled his eyes at her overtly preppy attitude. "Well aren't you just a ball of sunshine."

Lucy grinned, and he almost laughed at how she had just taken his insult as a compliment. She began rambling off about nonsense, but he decided it was a good opportunity to zone out and give her a once over. She was wearing sweatpants that were definitely too big for her, rolled up at the waist and ankles to better match her size. It was almost as though her entire figure was swallowed whole by her oversized jumper as well. Her hair was up in a messy bun, and cute bunny sandles occupied her feet. It seemed like she was a little child trapped in the body of a 20-something year old woman.

What a joke.

Silence filled the atmosphere, and he looked up at her face to notice that she was expectantly waiting for a response from him.

"I'm sorry, what?" He asked, not hearing a word of what she just said.

Her smile didn't waver as she blinked up at him. She was so short.

"I said I didn't catch your name."

"I didn't throw it."

She giggled. "Wow, you're a funny one. Well, here, I made you an apple pie. I googled and apparently an apple pie is the traditional present to give to a neighbour when starting a new relationship. I'm not the best at baking, but I hope you enjoy it!"