Chapter 18: Mountains and meadows

Jeremy's POV

"By Gone... you don't mean-.."I say, shocked.

Brooke crys harder, nods and hugs me.

"I-I'm so sorry all this is h-happening to you Jeremy!" She says.

"M-me!? Christine was your friend too!" I say holding back tears.

I have to be strong for her even though my life was falling apart right before my eyes. Brooke just continued to cry.

After a while she stopped crying and we sat down in silence.

"I think.... he's going to make it." I mumble.

I felt an odd boost of confidence.. I don't know why though.

Brooke, who was looking at her hands, looked up at me.

"I think so too... it should be done soon." She says.

Not long after the doctor came out. I started shaking... please please please please!

"The surgery was a success." He says but he sounded a tad grim.

"What's the catch?" I ask.

"His blood flow and heart isn't quite stable yet without its assistance... and due to the surgery being in his brain, there's a chance of memory loss." The doctor says.

"That's not too bad..." Brooke says.

I nod.

"When's he waking up, can I see him?" I ask.

"He should be waking up soon, and yes you can." The Doctor smiles.

I spring up and bolt into the room. Michael was laying in an hospital bed.... he was unconscious but seemed somewhat peaceful.

"-actually finished the surgery a while ago but wanted to make sure things were stable." The doctor tells brooke as the wall in.

I look at the beeping monitor that was by Michael's head, his heart beat. It seemed somewhat normal, the tall mountains occasionally popping up with a beep. But once and a while it would skip a beat or speed up for a few seconds. Ever sense I was a kid I saw the screen as a video game. Tall mountains coming out of the ground to block your path but still a nice peaceful meadow to let your guard down before another Mountain attacks.... yeah I know... weird. I look back down at Michael and smile...he didn't die..he's fine...everything's fine. I sit down in the chair next to him. The doctor grabs some papers and leaves me in here with Brooke...and Michael but he's...unconscious..still...obviously...heh anyways! Heh, Brooke sits in the chair by the door.

"At least we didn't have to loose two friends today... I mean...  I don't really know Michael but I would like too." She says.

"I'm sure he would love to get to know you too!" I say.

She smiles and laughs a bit. He phone rings and I signal to her that she can answer it. She puts the phone to her ear and he eyes grow wide immediately.

"Calm down clo! I know I know... I was told..... yeah... I'll be right over." She says.

"I'm sorry Jeremy! Chloe needs me!" She says.

"It's fine... don't get to exhausted trying to help everyone." I smile.

She chuckles

"I won't." She says.

"Tell Chloe I said hi." I add.

She nods and leaves. Squip appears.

"Jeremy.."he says quietly.

"No no shush, I don't want to hear it I'm happy right now... don't change that." I say.

"I was just going to say.....congratulations." He says then disappears again.

Maybe I should have listened... I'm sorry

I lean back and close my eyes hopefully he won't come back... ha that'd be nice... the last word I hear from squip being something as nice as 'congratulations'.... what a dream world. It's so weird... Christine is dead... maybe that hasn't sunk in yet... but Michael's alive and I have never felt more.... alive... light and bubbly.. just happy. It's a happy ending! Our story ends now right? We can be...happy.

"Where am I..." a voice mumbles.

I look at Michael, he was awake!... his head might hurt... I shouldn't talk to loud.

"The hospital, how ya feeling?" I say softly.

He looks at me, squinting then blinks a couple times.

"Why am I in the hospital?" He asks.

Now I got a little worried.

"Your cheep squip." I say, trying to jog his memory.

"....Squip?" He questions.

Memory loss.... is it permanent... no it doesn't matter... he's still Michael... he won't change... I'll help him... I'll just have to try harder.

"Do you know who I am?" I ask.

"I-I... can't see you." He says.

I stand up and grab his glances from the bedside table. I hand them to him and he puts them on, looking surprised at the difference. He looked up at me and blushed.

"You cute." He mumbles, then blushed harder.

"D-did I say that outloud!?" He panicked.

"Calm down." I chuckle, sitting back down.

Yep same old Michael.

"Michael... do you know my name?" I ask.

"S-sorry no." He says.

Ok yeah I was a little upset... but who wouldn't be.... my own boyfriend doesn't remember me.

"It's fine... so you know your name?" I ask.

"Uh... Michael- no-wait... yeah." He says confused.

"Ok you picked it up from me.... how's your head?" I ask.

He seemed to realize something.

"It hurts, are you the doctor?" He asks.

"Uh no I'm Jeremy." I say.

"Jeremy..." he mumbles. "Squip..."

He was trying to remember I could tell. He flinches and looks up at me but then back down.

"Can you leave..." he mumbles.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"I don't want to see you." He says slightly growling.

He seemed mad but more sad.

"You remember something..." I mumble.

"Only a bit but just get out of my face... please." He growls but the 'please' sounded more desperate.

He remembered the party.. the biggest regret I had in my life.

"Michael I-" I begin but he cut me off.

"Why are you even here!? If you think I'm such I loser? Come to mock me?" He says.

The mountains speeded across the scene like a boss level. The beeping rang in my ears.

"Michael please calm down!" I beg.

"N-no! ow- erg! I don't like you I don't want to see you ever again!" He shouts, tears rolling down his cheeks.

I should have left

Meadows.... Michael dropped back on the bed, tears still soaking his face. A long high beeping rang in my ears. Time slowed the room got colder. Michael, my best friend for years... my only friend for years... my boyfriend... the only person that really mattered to me... was dead... Level failed... game over.