Chapter One

Four months earlier:

It was hot. Not too hot but hotter than usual. I walked out of my bedroom fanning myself with my hand. It did nothing but the illusion of cold wind blowing on me was enough. I slid my feet along the floor as I moved. “Good morning dear” I heard coming from the kitchen. I tumble around the corner to see my mum making breakfast. The sizzle of bacon makes me hungry. I start to salivate but manage to stop myself before I dribble. “Hi mum” I reply and then slip into the bathroom. As I pee I can see steam coming from the toilet. I fall backwards screaming in horror knocking over a couple of bottles and a hairbrush as I go.

“Is everything all right in there sweetie?” says my mum on hearing the crash

“Fine” I reply, not really knowing what’s going on myself. “I’ll be out in a minute”

I exit the bathroom picking up the utilities as I go and stumble out. Mum serves breakfast and pours me a glass of juice.

“How’d you sleep dear?” my mum asks placing the plate of breakfast in front of me as I sit down.

“Fine.”

“Well that’s good.” “Oh” my mum says with frustration “Where is your father?”

I didn’t reply because I don’t really know these days.

“Well he’d better get down here quickly or his food will get cold”. “That applies to you too Sarah dear” my mum yells up stairs.

My sister Sarah is quite the opposite of me, one reason being that she is the opposite gender. She has blonde wavy hair that curls perfectly around her eye and falls softly down her back. She has hazel eyes with long eyelashes and she never gets pimples. She comes rushing down the stairs pulling on her blazer as she goes.

“Sorry, I slept in” Sarah puffs.

“Getting your beauty sleep are you?” my mum replies

“Yeah, she needs it” I say jokingly.

“You can talk” Sarah says back to me

“Now, now.” Mum says in her ‘that’s enough’ voice “eat your breakfast, you’ll be late.”

My dad walks down the stairs with a big smile on his face

“Morning everyone” he says cheerfully

“What’s up with you?” Sarah says

“Guess who just got promoted to chief of police” My dad says trying to hide his excitement

“Oh darling congratulations” my mum says hugging Dad

My dad sits down and eats his breakfast. There is an awkward silence as I finish. I stand up, wash my plate and go back to the bathroom. I close the door so as to have some privacy. I look into the mirror at my reflection. My straight black hair falling in my blue eyes (I did ask for a haircut but my mum didn’t have the money at the time). My blood feels hot as it flows around my body. I unbutton three buttons on my shirt and start pulling it to let cool air in. I try to wash my face with cold water but it evaporates on touch and steam fills the bathroom.

“Come on Ash, we’re going to be late” Sarah says as she knocks on the bathroom door.

I walk out wiping my face of the condensation.

“Did you have a shower or something? No, I didn’t hear the water. Why are you wet?”

“I’ll explain on the way to school”

I grabbed my bag and my blazer and went out the door.

“Bye mum!” Sarah shouts as she leaves the house.