Chapter Five

Saturday:

I wake up early and have a cold shower (it helps with the heat rushes). I go to get dressed as I notice that I only own black casual clothes with occasional colour in the patterns on the shirts. ‘I don’t want Emily to think I’m an Emo’ I think to myself. I try to find the most colourful patterned shirt and the lightest (grey) pants (skinny jeans) I have. I soon realise that it is the same case for my shoes and socks. After I look through my shoes I manage to find some red vans and slip them on.  I walk down stairs and see my mum at the table with a bunch of pamphlets (EWW pamphlet) and papers in front of her.

“What’s all this?” I say confused.

“These are the enrolment papers for the academy.”

“Oh my (if you are religious ignore this part) god. Why is there so much?”

“It is a tight security place Ash. It’s taking a while.”

“Oh, sorry.”

“That’s okay. Where are you going?”

“I have a date, dad was meant to take me.”

“Ooh, who’s the lucky guy.”

“I’m not gay!”

“Sorry. Who’s the lucky girl then?”

“Her name’s Emily.”

“What does she look like?”

“She has red hair, and is smart, and beautiful and *sigh of love*”

“Oh, I know this one. She served me at the florist.”

“That’s her.”

“She did seem nice.”

“So, when’s dad going to come down?”

“He already left. He had to go to work.”

“WHAT! I’m going to miss my date!”

“I can take you.”

“Really? Thank you, thank you thank you!”

“Whoa, calm down. It’s fine.”

“Sorry, it’s just I really like this girl and I thought I almost blew my chance. We have to go or we’ll be late.”

“Okay then. Just let my tidy this mess up.” my mum says shuffling the papers into a neat stack.

We get into the car which is once again silent. After what happened last car ride I used my common sense (and X-Men knowledge of Cyclops) to wear sunglasses which, hopefully, will mean that I don’t set fire to any more trees.

We get to Emily’s house and she gets in the car.

“Hello Mrs Coalman.” Emily says politely on entering the car.

“Hello Emily dear.”

“Hi Emily.” I say trying to hide the heat going into my cheeks (not the power, laugh at me if you will, I blushed).

“Hi Ash, you’re going to love the movie I picked.”

“What is it?”

“You will have to wait.”

“But I don’t…”

“Nope, you have to wait.” Emily interrupts.

I slump into the car seat then realise that I’m in the company of the girl I have liked through all of high school. I quickly shoot up in my seat and demonstrate good posture. Emily laughs at this gesture then turns to look out the window. I admire her like Donnie admiring April (high-five tmnt fans).