Chapter 11: One Night in the Forest: Natsu & Wendy.

Natsu awoke lying against a tree in an unfamiliar area a good distance away from the camp the group had set up. He felt the spot on his head where Wendy struck him as he looked around for something familiar. His eyes fell upon Wendy, who was standing a few feet away looking into the sky. Natsu rose from the ground and walked towards Wendy, standing side by side with her as he continued to rub his head. "Where did everybody go?" he asked.

"I imagine they are still at the campsite." She answered, continuing to look to the stars.

"Why did you leave them and why did you drag me along?" he asked her with a confused and slightly irritated look.

"Do you not want to be here?" she asked with a grin sensing Natsu's frustration.

He stood silent for a moment and turned his gaze to the stars like Wendy. He stopped rubbing his head, placing his hands on his hips in a confident pose as he smiled wide. "No, I don't mind. This is nice."

Wendy blushed a bit and smiled.

"But why did you have knock me out?"

"Well you weren't receiving my signal, so I had to use...more forceful methods to get you to come."

"Signal?" Natsu scratched his head and thought to himself. He recalled before he fell unconscious that Wendy kept shifting her eyes towards the clearing they were now standing in, but how was he supposed to know that she wanted him to come here? His face turned and he looked at Wendy irritably.

"How was I supposed to know that was a signal?!" he yelled, "I just thought you had to use the bathroom or something."

Wendy looked at him sternly, annoyed by his ignorance. "You moron, why would I tell you I had to use the restroom?"

He opened his mouth to speak then stopped, using his index finger to scratch the top of his head in confusion as he thought to himself again.

"Hmmm...I don't know." He said as he smiled.

Wendy's face softened and she smiled softly as she shook her head at him. "You are such a fool." She turned around to see Natsu heading back to the tree she had brought him to. He sat down, his right leg extended as he placed his arm on his left knee.

She chuckled. "Don't tell me you're still disoriented from my hitting you."

He smiled softly and looked at her, "No just a bit tired." He then looked at the sky from where he was sitting. "Hey Wendy."

"Yes?"

"Why did we leave everyone behind?" Natsu asked quizzically.

Wendy turned around and walked to the tree, pressing her back against it and sliding down until she was on the ground next to Natsu. Natsu still looked at her expectantly as she adjusted herself, patiently awaiting her answer.

"I thought it would be a good idea to let everyone get to know each other better." She said still looking in the sky

"What do you mean?" Natsu asked. He was confused as to why Wendy was looking at the sky still, but he nontheless followed suit once again turning is attention to the stars.

"You didn't notice?"

"Notice what?"

"Everyone was so tense on the train."

"Really? I didn't notice."

"Probably because you were unconscious." She said under her breath.

"What?" Natsu said looking at her

"It's nothing. Anyway, it was very awkward on the train from Magnolia. Aside from Erza and Lucy no one was talking to one another. Juvia looked as if she was going to faint just being next to Gray and Levy was blushing so much she resembled a human tomato."

Natsu thought about what Wendy had said to him. He always thought Juvia was an odd one but he had noticed that Levy always acted a bit different whenever Gajeel was around or mentioned; but he never really thought much of it. He looked at Erza again, "What's wrong with them? Are they sick?"

She chuckled a bit at his question. "No they aren't sick. They-" she turned to Natsu and her words stopped. She noticed Natsu was looking directly at her, she looked into his eyes and her face starting turning red. Even though they had been gone for an hour, Wendy was just now realizing that this was the first time she and Natsu had been alone since he recovered. "They're just nervous is all." She quickly looked back into the sky.

Natsu looked at Wendy like she had just spoken a foreign language, "Nervous?" he asked, Wendy nodded in respone. "Why?"

"It's...complicated." She said with a small smile. She knew exactly why the two had been acting that way, it was similar to who she acted towards Natsu sometimes, but she knew explaining it to him would be a waste.

Natsu shrugged at Wendy's answer and turned his gaze back to the stars. "If you say so."

Wendy began to speak again, "So I thought without the two of us there they would have the opportunity to get better acquainted with each other."

"I don't really get it but they'll be fine. I mean we're all friends, so it'll all work out." Natsu said with a smile.

Wendy smiled as well and lied her head on Natsu's shoulder, surprising him.

"Hey Wendy you ok?" he asked a bit concerned, thinking she was falling ill.

She smiled as her eyes closed, "Yes I'm fine just tired. Is it ok if I lie here for a while?"

Natsu scratched his cheek with his index finger as he blushed. "Yeah...I don't care."

She smiled a bit more and fixed her head upon his shoulder a bit more. "Thank you."

"Don't mention it."

Wendy fell asleep within a few minutes, and Natsu stayed in his same position so to not bother her. He looked at her as she slept, she looked so peaceful, completely different from the monster he was used to. He looked at her lips, they were slightly seperated and Natsu could feel her warm breath on his shoulder. He thought about the kiss they shared not too long ago and his face began turning red. She looks cute when she's sleeping. He slowly moved his hand towards Wendy's face.

"Mmm." Wendy groaned as positioned herself better on Natsu's shoulder. Startled, Natsu quickly pulled his hand pack to his side and looked away, his face still red.

A few minutes later Natsu began drifting off as well until...

"AAAAHHHHH!" a shrill scream echoed through the forest and into Natsu's ears as his opened eyes wide.

That sounded like Lucy! Natsu thought panicked. I have to find her. He began shifting but stopped when he saw Wendy moving slightly. But Wendy's still sleeping and I don't want to wake her. He began to sweat as he thought about the wrath he would suffer if he woke Wendy prematurely.

Natsu slowly moved Wendy off of him and gently laid her on the ground as he stood up, placing his scarf under her head so she had a makeshift pillow, he sighed a sigh of relief as he succenssfully avoided bodily harm he then looked down at her and smiled at how peaceful she looked.

With Wendy secure, Natsu turned around, a look of determination appearing on his face as began running to where the sound was coming from. I'm coming Lucy. he thought as he reentered the forest.

Wendy, still asleep, felt Natsu's scarf and held it tighter to herself on instinct, taking in its feel and its smell.

"Natsu...don't go." she mumbled softly, slightly saddened.

...