Chapter 12: Oopsie Baby

I toss some popcorn in my mouth while Jamie struggles to find his words. "Chocolate syrup? On popcorn? Is there something you need to tell me, baby?"

I frown at him for a minute before I see where he's going, and then I can't help but laugh so hard I snort. "Oh my God – your face! Sweetie, relax. I'm not pregnant. Boobs are normal and I just had a period a couple of weeks ago. It was light, but it was a period."

He sighs heavily and scrubs his hands through his hair as he mutters, "Thank fuck."

I put the popcorn bowl in his lap as I go to find my own chocolate syrup, and toss over my shoulder, "But always good to know where your head is at!"

He hollers back, "Never made a secret of it! I think we should close the doors on the baby making factory."

I plop back down beside him, with my delicious chocolate syrup – and chili powder – great combo on popcorn. "I know, baby, and I'm almost there with you. I'm just getting all back to normal, all my hormones have leveled out, and I can think about NOT having another baby without getting sad." I lean up to kiss his cheek, "After all, we're blessed with five healthy ones."

He pushes the popcorn away when I offer it to him and lazily strokes my hair. "So are you ready for me to schedule my vasectomy?"

I shrug, "I don't think so. I have a check-up with Ally next week. I'll talk to her about getting my tubes tied. We can figure out which procedure is less painful and go with that. Sound good?"

"Actually, you've already delivered three babies, and I don't think anything is more painful than that – so let me take care of this."

"Can we revisit this later? I'm close, but not ready to pull the plug so to speak."

He turns my face to his and bumps my nose before giving me a sweet kiss. "Of course, baby." He smacks his lips. "Spicy."

I smile and offer him a tasty piece of popcorn, "It's the chili powder. Taste!"

"Nope. That's all you, nut muffin."

*****

Ally bustles in all business like, but breaks character just long enough to give me a kiss on the cheek. "So, how have you been feeling, Dakota?" She starts to don her latex gloves and situate me in the stirrups as I talk.

"Really good. I feel like I'm back to my old self, you know? And I finally had a period two weeks ago. It was light, but it seems like my cycles are starting up again."

"That's all good and sounds normal. Any pain? During sex, or otherwise?" She inserts a speculum, a COLD speculum that makes me gasp.

"No pain during sex, but I've had some light cramping that makes me wonder if the IUD shifted or something. It's not bad, just noticeable."

She adjusts the light and utters a small, "Hmmmmm. There is a little inflammation. We might need to take this out for a few weeks and see if that addresses the issue. I don't want to leave it in and let this get worse or do some permanent damage."

She reaches for some implement on the tray, "Just a little pinch, Dakota. Take a deep breath."

I squeeze my eyes shut and prepare for the pinch and she says, "And blow it out." A pinch my ass. I can't help but give a little yelp and reflexively lift my hips off the table. "All done. Try to relax."

Right about then her nurse walks in with some papers. "Doctor? A moment?"

Ally takes me out of the stirrups and lets me lay flat, and gives my knees a pat. "Breathe easy for a moment, Dakota. I'll be right back."