Chapter 15: Double the Fun

We are rocking along. Thanks to Jamie's therapist, he is as calm as I could possibly expect. He is protective and concerned about my every move, but not crazy. That's all I can ask. Jim and Samina have also been a huge help. We facetime with them at least every three nights and Jim is in constant contact with Ally. I have asked him to be in the delivery room and he agreed, even though it's highly unusual. But I know having him in there will help Jamie.

I'm more than half-way through filming my movie and they have been great about adapting to my pregnancy. It seems like the moment I discovered it, my belly busted out. With clever placement and costume choices, they have been able to disguise my rapidly growing bump.

I see Ally every other week, and Jamie is always there with me. She continually reassures us that we are progressing well and normally and reminds me of things to watch for – swelling, unusual pains, and any bleeding. She is not at all concerned about my fatigue, which is greater than what I felt in my other pregnancies, nor is she concerned about my strange cravings.

Jamie has taken over the cooking. He says it's to relieve my stress, but I think it's because the kids have begged him to prevent me from serving them strange food. I think I crossed the line when I served meatloaf with an eggplant and potato puree along with lime sherbet mixed with salsa for desert.

But nighttime snack time is my heaven because I don't have to worry what anyone thinks. Max is a huge fan of lime sherbet, as am I. I just like to dress mine up a bit. In addition to salsa, horseradish is a good add. I also really like bananas dipped in hot sauce, and beef jerky slathered in peanut butter.

My family turns their nose up at my breakfast as I often fix oatmeal and then load in yummy options like tuna, scrambled eggs, chicken breast, and left over pork chops. I think the babies want protein.

Once I hit week 13 (and my belly popped and my ass spread), we decided we needed to share the news and prepare the kids. All of the adults in our periphery were astounded, amazed, and joyful at the news.

*****

Trey was a bit reserved. "Daddy. We need to talk."

"Okay. What's up, buddy?"

"There are too many girls in this house, Daddy. You need to make these babies boys. We need more men on our team."

I want to laugh my ass off, but I totally agree with him. "Well, son, you know there's not a lot I can do about it, but I hear you. If it turns out we're gonna have more girls, I'll just need your help even more. And if we have some boys, I'll need you to set a good example. Either way, I depend on you, buddy."

My sweet four year old son looks up to me with earnest eyes, "You got it, Dad. We got this."

I snicker when I think of those words that me and his mother have exchanged so often and smile at him, "Yeah, buddy, we got this."

I pull him in for a hug. What a jewel is this kid. He is truly the best of both of us and I marvel every day that he is part of my life – part of us.

"Buddy, what would you want to name the babies?" I want to make him feel special and included.

He thinks seriously for a minute, "I like Snoopy for a name. He's always happy. Everybody loves him. And he has good music."

I grin at him, "That's a great idea. What else you got?"

He frowns, "No Dora. Her theme song is ick."

I laugh and hug him tighter, "Okay, no Dora. You keep me posted on any new ideas, buddy."

*****