3| The Mermaid Gown

I was looking at the gown on my bed. I was staring and drooling!

It's the same gown that caught my attention on Rafa Federico's portfolio. It's the champagne mermaid gown.

It was delivered this morning and I have no idea who sent it.

Oh, well... I have an idea who sent it, but I don't want to believe it.

Why would a Travis Lawrence Amante buy me a gown? We're not even friends.

I sighed then I covered the box then placed it under my bed. I went inside the bathroom then took a quick bath then prepared myself for later. The program will start at six, but I have to be there this morning to check on everything. I was assigned to organize everything, from the program down to the littlest of details.

I wore a simple jeans and our school's polo shirt.

"Tia, hindi ka na naman ba kakain ng agahan?" Mommy worriedly asked.

I kissed her cheek. "Hindi na po, 'My. Baka maiwan ako ni Kuya," nagmamadaling sabi ko at tumakbo na sa garahe kung saan nakaabang na si Kuya. He's busy fidgeting with his phone. Probably sweet-talking his girlfriend.

I deposited my bag on the shotgun seat of his car then opened the gates. I waited for him to maneuvered his car out of the garage then I closed the gate before I hopped in his car.

"'Di ba may program kayo? Bakit papasok ka pa ngayon?" he asked while driving.

"I was given a task to check on everything. I have to make sure that everything's ready and going smoothly according to the plan," I replied as I munched on a biscuit.

"Tia, pwede naman mag-Tagalog. Alam ko na pang-sosyalera ang school mo, pero dinudugo na ang ilong ko sa'yo," he teased.

I giggled. "Sorry. I was just familiarizing myself with the language. I'm aiming to land a job abroad. I believe that the opportunities overseas will take me to places."

I am not against the career opportunity here, but it's a common knowledge that working abroad is a better option. I don't want to waste my potentials in a small-time company. I know and I am confident that I can be an asset to some international companies.

"I agree, baby sis. Kasi malaki talaga ang potensyal mo. Ikaw ang magpapayaman sa atin," he chuckled.

I rolled my eyes on him.

He dropped me off in front of the school then said he'll pick me up later at our home and he'll drive me to school for the party. I thanked him and reminded him to drive carefully.

My brother is not sweet, but he's thoughtful and caring.

I spent the day checking everything. The sound and lights, the tables, the foods, the performers, the certificates... everything which concern the event.

I went home around three in the afternoon, and found people waiting for me in the living room.

"Tia, kumuha ako ng mga mag-aayos sa'yo," Mommy smiled at me then told me to take bath after I eat my snack.

"'My, hindi naman na po kailangan ang ganyan. Kaya ko naman pong ayusan ang sarili ko," sabi ko habang kumakain ng ginataang mais na niluto n'ya. "Sana idinagdag n'yo na lang sa ipon n'yo ni Daddy."

They're saving for the farm they're planning to buy. Daddy wants to spend his retiring age, managing a small farm. I think it's a good idea and investment.

"Tia, nag-iisang anak kitang babae. Syempre gusto ko na maganda ka sa mga school events n'yo. Saka ayoko na mag-mukhang kawawa ka d'on sa mga kaklase mo," she smiled warmly at me. "Ano'ng gown ang isusuot mo? 'Wag na 'yong pinang-debut mo a. Nakakatatlong suot ka na n'on!"