seven (skil)

home ~ fluff

"you...you what?"

"that's right. i'm dating a girl!" skye screamed, standing up from her seat at the dinner table.

"this is unacceptable." her father growled. he stood up and screamed back. "no daughter of mine is going to be a lesbian."

"i'm not a lesbian! you're not listening!" skye groaned, pounding her fists on the table for emphasis.

"if you're dating a girl, that makes you a lesbian in my book."

"and what else does 'your book' say about lesbians?" skye challenged, crossing her arms across her chest.

"as long as that girl is in your life, there's no way in hell that you're living here."

"fine." skye stormed out of the room. "then i'll just go somewhere else."

"you do that!" her father yelled after her.

skye ran upstairs to her room and shut the door. she grabbed a sport duffel from her closet and threw a few pieces of clothing in there, her makeup, her laptop, and headphones. she pulled her phone out of her pocket and turned on some music, letting calming sounds wash over her as she stormed out of the house and slammed the door for the final time.

skye wandered through the streets cold, alone, and afraid. rain was pouring down from the sky like someone had turned on a tap, and the wind was blowing, turning the raindrops into tiny bullets that stung skye's skin. the music stopped and she pulled out her phone to check what was wrong, only to realize that it was dead.

great.

she entered the downtown area, and gradually things began to look more and more familiar, allowing her to calm down a bit more. she reached mil's apartment building a few minutes later and she sighed in relief, stepping inside the slightly warmer building. she took the elevator to the fifth floor and rung the doorbell to the second apartment, stepping back slightly.

"be there in a sec!" a cheerful voice called from the other side. mil opened the door with a huge smile on her face, which immediately turned into one of confusion and concern. "s-skye? what are you doing here?"

at that point, skye just couldn't take it anymore. she flung herself into mil's arms and cried into her shoulder.

"oh, darling." mil cooed. "what happened to you."

"d-dad and i-i-i...f-fight..a-and---"

"shh...let's not worry about that right now. let's just get you warmed up, m'kay? it's supposed to be freezing out there." mil led skye to the bathroom and shut the door, sighing softly.

"what's the matter?" skylar, mil's roommate, asked.

"i think she got kicked out of the house. for good."

"damn. that's harsh."

"she's going to need another place to stay--"

"but we don't have any free bedrooms. we have enough for jax, you, and i."

"she can sleep in my room." jax offered.

"no...i want her with me." mil said quietly. "i'll feel best if she's right there next to me."

"okay."

"i'm going to go make her some tea. anyone else?"

"nah."

"i'm good."

"babe?" mil asked, running a hand through skye's wavy hair. "are you okay?"

"i-i don't know...i mean, this is great and all, but i don't know where i'm going to go tomorrow."

"what do you mean? you're staying here."

"but i wouldn't want to be a burden--"

"you're anything but a burden, love." mil kissed skye softly. "don't you forget that. you mean the world to me."

"and you mean the world to me." skye scooted closer to mil and wrapped her arms around her girlfriend.

"do you feel bad that you left your family?" she asked quietly.

"no." skye said. "you know why?"

"why?"

"because i have a different kind of family. you guys."