Part 18

Over the past few months Dev had gotten used to waking up early and taking care of meals and other household chores. He loved doing all of it for his wife. A man who never did any household work his entire life had now changed.
Dev woke up early to prepare breakfast for Sonakshi. It had been a long time since he had not pampered Sonakshi with breakfast in bed. He decided to make some fancy breakfast for his wife. He arranged the breakfast in a tray and walked towards the room. Sonakshi was peacefully sleeping. He kept the tray on the side table and sat beside her. He caressed her forehead and kissed her. Sonakshi could feel the love and she woke up. 'Good morning Mrs. Dixit'. Sonakshi sat upright and said in a sleep tone 'Good morning Mr. Dixit'. Dev smiled at her and kept the tray on his lap. 'Chalo, Maine tumhare lea breakfast laya hai. All your favourite things'. Sonakshi looked at him and said 'Dev mujhe bhaut weak feel ho raha hai. Bhaut body pain bhi ho raha hai. Mujhe abhi breakfast Nahi karna'. Dev said to her 'Sonakshi, thoda sa kha lo. Tumhare health ke lea keh raha hu. Agar tum me Nahi khaya toh baby ke lea accha nahi hoga na. Ek kam karo, thoda sa kha lo aur phir wapas rest karna. Okay?' Sonakshi nodded. 'Chalo phir. Muh Kholo'. Sonakshi ate a little unwillingly. After breakfast dev made her sleep and then he went to do some other work. He was washing the dishes and his phone rang. He quickly grabbed a napkin to dry his hands. It was Ishwari who was calling. 'Dev tu kaha hai?' Ishwari asked. Dev replied 'ghar pe hu maa. Kyu?' 'Dev, main soch rehi thi ki kya tu aur Sonakshi ghar aa sakte ho aaj?' Dev thought for a while and said 'Maa woh Sonakshi ki tabyet kuch Theek Nahi hai. Tu ek kam kar na, tu yaha aa ja'. Ishwari liked the plan 'Accha sun, khana banaya toh Nahi na? Main ghar se ghana la rehi hu'. Dev got extremely excited as he had missed Ishwari's food for a long time. 'Nahi maa abhi tak khana Nahi banaya'. 'Accha hua. Main 1:30 tak khana lekar aati hu'.
Sonakshi woke up by 11:30. She walked towards the dining table. She saw that Dev was working on his laptop. Dev saw her and said 'uth gai tum? Ab kaisa lag raha hai? Sonakshi said 'theek hu. Bas thoda sa body pain hai'. Dev quietly stood up and stood behind her. He began to give Sonakshi a shoulder massage. 'Arey Dev kya kar rahe ho? Iss ki koi jarurat Nahi hai'. Dev did not listen to her and continued to give her a massage. A few minutes later the door bell rang. Dev went to open the door. 'Courier for Mrs. Sonakshi Dixit' said the courier boy. Dev took the box and shut the door. 'Sonakshi, tum ne kuch online order kia tha kya? Tumhara parcel aaya hai'. As soon as she heard the word parcel, she stood up excitedly. 'Dev, yeh parcel mare naam par hai lakin it's for you'. Dev shook the box to guess but he couldn't guess. 'Kya hai iss mein Sonakshi?' Dev asked confusingly. Sonakshi held his hand and wrapped it in her palms. 'Dev, aap ne mare lea itna kuch kia iss lea yeh mere taraf se ek gift hai. Khol ke dekh lo'. 'Arey Sonakshi tumhe yeh karne ki jarurat Nahi thi' said Dev. 'Devvv....ab kya mein aap ko gift Nahi de sakti? Chalo ab yeh gift kholo. Please don't kill my excitement. Okay?' Said Sonakshi making a puppy face. Dev opened the gift. It was a small machine. Dev was certainly not excited seeing his gift. He wondered how the machine was useful to him. 'Sonakshi yeh kya hai?' Sonakshi giggled looking at dev's confused face. She grabbed his arms and made him sit on the sofa. She sat next to him and took the gift from his hands. She switched on the machine and kept it on her baby bump. Dev was confused about what Sonakshi was doing. A few seconds later Dev could hear some noise coming from the machine. Sonakshi looked at him and said 'kuch sun rahe ho?' Dev nodded. 'Dev, aap jo awaz sun rahe ho, woh humare baby ke heart beats hai yeh machine ko Doppler keh te hai. Iss se hum baby ke heart beats sun sakte hai'. Dev was stunned. 'Sach mein? Yeh awaz humare baby ke heart beats hai?' Sonakshi nodded. Dev's happiness had no boundaries. He couldn't believe what he just experienced. Tears rolled down his cheeks. Sonakshi looked at him and wiped his tears. She came forward to kiss Dev. She kissed his forehead.Dev held her by her cheeks and looked into her eyes and said ' thank you Sonakshi. Thank you for the best gift ever'. Sonakshi was extremely happy seeing her Dev so happy.
It was lunch time. Sonakshi went in the kitchen to see what was prepared for lunch but she noticed that lunch was not prepared. She walked towards dev to ask him about lunch. 'Dev, aap ne abhi tak lunch Nahi banaya? ' Arey haa Sonakshi, maine toh batana hi bhool gaya,aaj subha Maa ka phone aaya tha. Unhe hum se kuch baat karni hai. Iss lea woh ghar aa rehi hai. Maa lunch bhi la rehi hai'. No sooner had Dev said that, the door bell rang. Dev and Sonakshi walked towards the door to open it. 'Maa tu aa gai'. Dev bent down to seek her blessing. Ishwari sat on the sofa with Sonakshi while Dev went to get a glass of water. Ishwari looked around the house and said 'ghar ko bhaut accha rakha hai' Sonakshi replied 'haa Maa, Dev bhaut acche tarah se sab cheezo ka khayal rakh te hai'. Dev gave Ishwari the glass of water and said 'Maa, ab bata, thuje kya baat karni thi?' Ishwari finished the water and kept the glass on the centre table and said ' Dev, main kai dino se soch rehi thi ki hume Sonakshi ki god bharaee ka programme rakh na chaheye. Tum dono ko kya lagta hai?' Sonakshi was extremely happy. Dev looked at how happy Sonakshi was and he said 'haa Maa, hume Sonakshi ki god bharaee kar ni chahiye. Thume kya lagta hai Sonakshi?' Sonakshi Just blushed and that was enough for Ishwari and Dev to understand her answer. 'Toh theek hai. Hum kal hi yeh function rakh te hai'. Said Ishawari. 'Maa kal, itne jaldi sab kam kaise hoga?' Questioned Dev. 'Dev, tu chinta mat kar. Taiyaaree karne ke lea ghar par bhaut log hai. Dev ek aur baat. Tu Vaada kar ki tu mana Nahi karega'. 'Kaisa vaada maa?' Asked Dev. 'Dev main kal Sonakshi ke lea aur bacche ke lea ek pooja rakh na chaahati hu aur main chaahati hu ki tu bhi Sonakshi ke saath pooja mein baithe '. 'Maa, tu.....' Dev was interrupted by Sonakshi 'haa Maa, aap chinta mat kejea. Dev aur mein jarur pooja mein baithenge'. Sonakshi agreed because she wanted to see her mother in law happy. Dev did not wish to agree but how could he disappoint the two most important ladies of his life?