chapter 25

Clint's p.o.v

"stop!" she snapped harshly.

"it's too late! you can't help me now! some people can't be saved and you have to accept that. and if this kills me, if i have to die to be free then so be it! but at the moment I'll do whatever it takes to survive. and right now that includes getting off the hydra and avengers radar and the shield radar! I'm a killer and you have to live with it! people like you don't fall for people like me so just leave me alone and stop lying to me!" she screamed.

and then she started shooting at me. i dodged them just in time but if i was anyone else she would have killed me. only i could possibly have dodged her shots. i got closer to her as i dodged her bullets.

damn she's strong. even in her dying state, she's a tough and skilled fighter.

as i got closer, she didn't have time to reload her gun. so she dropped it to the ground and pulled two sharp knives out of her jacket sleeves. she started swinging them at me, applying them to her assassin combat skills.

there's a reason she's the deadliest assassin on the planet, i barely avoided each blade. but she did manage to get a good solid square kick in at my jaw, making me fly backwards to the ground on my back.

just before she plunged the blade into my heart, i grabbed her wrist and held her away while i was still on the ground. but i forgot about the other blade and i was using both hands because god she was strong.

while i was distracted, i saw the other blade jab me in between the ribs like the arrow did to her. i cried out in pain but i didn't release my hold on her one wrist. she kept jabbing me in the ribs because in this position she couldn't reach anywhere fatal.

that's when i realized this is what she meant in her letter. that she would do anything to kill me. so to save her i had to kill her. but if i killed her then the demon would kill everyone. she would have killed me but then with a stroke of luck, she started to choke on blood again.

she slipped off me. but this was different. she was on her knees, clutching her throat and chest as she choked on blood. this is where she really die. i got up, clutching my ribs and ran as best i could over to her.

i caught her just as she collapsed, still gagging on blood that she spit on the ground. by the looks of her and the amount of blood she was coughing up, her lungs were collapsing.

"you have to get rid of the demon. it's killing you!" i said with panic.

no matter what she said, i didn't want her to die. and to my relief she listened. with a flash of her glowing eyes, the demon turned to dust like she promised. but it looks like the damage was done because she was still dying and choking. magneto was dead though.

but it seemed like a small victory in the price of winter's life.

most of the other avengers were injured but not to badly and no one was dead. although Tony was missing half of his armor but his new arc reactor was untouched.

i looked at winter, she spit blood on the ground again and then stopped choking. her eyes had stopped glowing were normal again but they were glazed like glass. and her breathing was really shallow.

now her eyes were bleeding. summoning those demons really took a toll on her.

"I'm....sorry." she gasped.

the look in her eyes made me think she knew this wasn't a game anymore, but she still believed she won.

"is... is he dead?" she asked as she grasped my hand.

"yes. magneto is dead." i said with tears brimming my eyes.

i somehow knew she wasn't going to make it. she sighed with relief, looking finally at peace.