chapter 23

listen to "monster" by Beth Crowley for this chapter

Winter's p.o.v

I'm laughing like a maniac when i go back to my room, still hearing the screams and cries of the soldiers who are being taken to the infirmary. they are wasting their time. nothing can be done for them now that they were driven to the point of insanity.

the demons i conjured fed on their fear, consuming their souls and driving them to insanity. it's a fun little trick i learned when they improved my control on my powers. i can dig inside you and find what you fear most. then create demons that will take form as whatever you fear.

It's a powerful illusion, the more fear my demons feed on, the more real they become. as soon as they feed on even a little fear they become real without my help. i have full control over my demons and i can make them disappear into dust any time i want.

it's honestly the best ability i have ever been able to use with my powers. it's really the only power i enjoy having. all my powers are super useful, they kept me alive. but i still wish i didn't have my powers. that i was simply an assassin.

all the powers are a little over board if you ask me. i like them because no one can mess with me but still.

any way, back to business.

my room is more like a cell, i guess the avenger was right about me. i have always been a prisoner. but i didn't wish to see so i remained blind. not anymore. i will never be blind again. so I'll go through with the plan that i wrote to the avengers, even if i don't remember my original motives, I'll go through with it.

i won't be a puppet. i won't let hydra use me ever again. i refuse to be controlled. everything i do from here on out will be strictly my choice.

but what i don't understand is what i could've written to the archer that i didn't want the others to see. it made me think we were close once. and yet i didn't bother to read the whole thing, i stopped when it said Clint. then i added my updates.

Pietro must be the brother stark had told me about. the name sounds familiar but the memories are foggy. he gave me my bracelet apparently. before now i had never given it much thought or even looked to find the message he engraved on it.

we were obviously closer than me and the scarlet witch. i really wish i had killed her, that girl is nothing but a thorn in my side. i never forget my enemies but why was it i remembered her so quickly. probably the fact that she was trying to dig through my head again and she's the only one stupid enough to try that.

i should have made stark kill her when i had the chance. but next time i won't hesitate. hesitance is a good way to get myself killed. so i vow that next time we cross paths, she's dead. i never fail to kill someone once they are on my hit list. and she's officially number one.

but of course i still have a score to settle with the archer. no matter what i felt for him in the past, that's all gone now. i am after all, winter ivy. in my life, it's kill or be killed.

we'll see what happens.

i sit cross legged on the floor in a corner of the small room, wincing at the pain in between my ribs. you think that would've healed by now, damn that archer. although i can't say I'm not impressed that he managed to hit me.

i feel something wet trickle down my face, it smells like salt and metal. i press two fingers against the corner of my mouth and pull them away thick with my own blood. i know it's my own because i never got any of the soldier's blood on me before i left and i wasn't bleeding before.

i smile.

it's not to bad this time but next time it could be worse. the thing about making my demons is that it takes a lot of energy to create and control them. the longer i have them out, the weaker i get and i start bleeding.