Chapter 16 - Three Suitcases and Two Boxes

"Knock, knock, it's the movers," a voice said from behind (Y/N)'s apartment door.

"Steve! Get in here!" she laughed as she walked to the door. Opening the front door, she saw that he was there with three suitcases and two boxes. "You weren't kidding, there really wasn't much to move," she said, grabbing the heavy suitcase in front of him to bring it inside. When she turned back to him, Steve was down on one knee.

"(Y/N)..." he whispered, slowly gaining more of his voice, "Timing's never been my strong point," he laughed. "And I'm not sure if this is too soon for you... but... I don't need to move in here to know I want you for the rest of my life. (Y/N), I want to be your husband, I already feel like that in my heart. Will you be my wife?" Steve pulled a ring out of his shirt pocket and raised it for her to see.

"Steve..." she said and put her hands over her mouth. She kneeled to the floor in front of him, looking at him with tears welling up in her eyes. She tried to catch her breath as she looked at him smiling. "Yes," she nodded quickly. "Of course!" She reached over to hug him hard, almost losing her balance on her knees. Steve caught her and tucked his face into her neck while he squeezed her tight. He held her like that until he realized she'd never really taken a look at the ring, not surprising for someone who thought more of people than possessions. "Baby, do you want to see the ring?"

"Oh, yes," she laughed. "Oh, Steve, it's beautiful." She wiped a tear away before he reached for her hand to slide the ring on her finger. She looked at it for a second and then pulled him back into a hug.

"I get to see this beautiful face every morning," he said as she squeezed him tighter. "I'm never letting go."