Chapter Nine: The facade

Max woke up in the middle of the night shaking. Another nightmare of being beaten and abandoned. He sighed and began crying softly until he fell asleep.

Max walked into the living room rubbing his eyes.

"Hello Max!" David said.

"Hey dad." Max said groggily.

"What's wrong kiddo?" David asked.

"Bad sleep." Max replied, yawning.

"I'm sorry bud." David said walking towards the coffee machine.

"Want some coffee?" He asked.

"Yeah." Max said with his eyes half closed.

David frowned. He wished he could help Max get rid of his nightmares but he didn't know what he could do. He walked into the living room and passed Max a cup of coffee.

"Thanks dad." Max said taking a sip of his coffee.

David sat next to Max and turned on the tv.
After hours of watching tv in silence Max spoke.

"Why did you adopt me?"

"What?" David said.

"I mean, I've been such an asshole to you. Why not just throw me into foster care?"

David thought for a moment.

"Because I care about you, and I know you lash out because you're sad." David said.

Max was silent. He knew David was right. He had pushed down his sadness and instead put on a mean facade. Tears slowly fell down Max's face as he was pulled into a hug. He held on to David's shirt tightly and cried. David was silent as he held the weeping child In his arms.

After awhile David had again found that Max had fallen asleep in his arms. David checked his watch. 7pm? Well that day certainly slipped away. He got up and carried Max into his bedroom and tried to put him down but when he did Max held onto his shirt tighter. David smiled and slowly got on the bed.

"Goodnight Max." David said drifting off to sleep.

A/N: DAVID IS THE BEST DAD DADVID IS THE BEST THING TO EVER GRACE MY EXISTENCE HOLY FUCK. In other news the very short hiatus is over😂