05 | burning bridges

CHAPTER V.

( burning bridges. )

Kakashi's twelve years old, training hard for her jōnin exams, and her—feelings for her teammate have not gone away as she so hoped. 

Because they fight. 

Because they don't, more often than not; because they bicker, scratch, grin at each other in that feral way Kakashi loves, all fangs and claws and blood, and it's the adrenaline coursing through her veins and it's the way he offers the peace sign afterwards, a pout in his lips because he's lost. 

Because Obito's getting better, at everything, because he's making efforts in their training and taking their missions seriously; because Obito's no longer innocent and he understands a bit more, now, even if he's still quite naive. 

(Because he's fourteen and he doesn't fucking stop smiling, because he's fourteen and he still insists on bathing together in attempts to see her face, because he's fourteen and terribly cute and this should not be still happening to her, what the fuck—)

(Because Obito and Kakashi still fight, still get mean, still are assholes to each other, but. But they're teammates, if that counts for something.)

(They're more than they were, and that's enough for her.)

He's a chūnin, now, him and Rin, and although their promotion is recent, Kakashi knows they're at a mid-chūnin level at the very least. They're good—not geniuses, but hard-working, and that counts: Rin is a fast learner, her medic-nin techniques coming together quickly, and Obito's turning out to be quite the tank, even if he still has a long way to go.

They're strong, for their age.

(They wouldn't survive Minato-sensei otherwise.)

(They wouldn't survive her, otherwise.)

She's—kind of proud, she thinks, when she watches them spar.

Three weeks later she's a jōnin, the youngest they've ever had. 

On the morning of her first mission after the test, Obito doesn't give her anything as a present. 

(It stings that he doesn't arrive on time, that he blushes when Rin smiles at him, that he glares at her when her remarks at his absent present are meaner than usual, but it's fine.)

(Even if she would have killed for a present from Obito.)

Minato gives her one of his special kunai, those with his chakra infused in, and Rin gives her a personal medic kit. They're useful for the mission, thoughtful, and Kakashi feels warm. 

Five minutes later, when Obito barely lets out a small congratulations, she hides a smile.

Her first mission as a jōnin is to destroy the Kannabi Bridge.

(She won't admit she's nervous, but she has a feeling Minato-sensei knows.)

(Minato-sensei always knows.)

When they encounter their first enemy, Kakashi kills the Iwa-nin with her chidori. It's not a clean kill, not by a mile, but it gets the job done.

It gets messy, too, messier than usual: blood is on her clothes, on the ground, on the trees, on her hands. Kakashi's killed far too many to be fazed, and Minato-sensei scolds her for being reckless, but either she's more nervous than she realized or there's something truly wrong with this mission.