Xander

"I must have been a bit of a bitch when I was all action," I say to Cassie as we weave through the maze of cubicles on our way to lunch.

We've been stopped to chit chat every few desks as we try to duck out of the office.

"Hmmm...I don't know if that's the right word. It doesn't seem nearly harsh enough. Think Cruella Deville and you'll have an idea of the type of viciousness you were viewed with prior to..." Cassie pauses, "am I allowed to say it?"

"Say what?"

"It. The B word."

"Cass, really?"

"I'm just saying you hate titles and categories and I don't want to freak you out by sticking you in a box."

"You can say it, Cass."

"Ok, prior to you getting a boyfriend," she whispers boyfriend like she can't trust me to react well to the word.

Cassie is thrilled with the idea of me forming an attachment to Vincent. But the fact that she called me Cruella Deville will not be overlooked.

"Cruella Deville? She skins puppies! Do I seem like the type to skin puppies?"

"Not at all. Which is why people were so shocked when I told them you did last year at the Christmas party."

A snorty, growly, gaspy sound slips from my throat once her statement registers in my brain. Alcohol mixed with Cassie's need to find out the most insane thing she can say while keeping a straight face means she absolutely said something along those lines to our coworkers.

"And I suppose you never thought twice about retracting that statement," I ask equally pissed, shocked and amused.

"Then people would think I'm a liar."

"Right. It's much better for them to think I skin puppies."

"My thoughts exactly. It's not like they thought very highly of you before I made the statement. Someone actually said, 'now it all makes sense.'"

I can't help but laugh because I know it's completely true.

"You're more approachable now. I'm sure you haven't noticed but people have put pictures of their pets back up on their desk."

I try to sneak a glance at desks in passing to see if what she is saying is true.

"Love suits you, Xander."

"It does," says Vincent as he sits dinner in front of me.

I've shared my conversation with Cassie with him.

"Although, I personally would have never believed you skinned puppies. Maybe rabbits or kittens but certainly not puppies. You seemed like a dog person."

"So what in the world did you fall for?"

"You first," Vincent answers.

"But I asked you."

"I'm aware of that."

"So how is it that I am answering my question?"

"Because I don't want you to steal my answer. You skin animals for Pete's sake. I can't trust you not to plagiarize my heartfelt words."

"Man, I'm on fire today. Not only am I PETA's worst nightmare but I'm a thief to boot. You certainly know how to pick a winner, Vincent."

"Yes, I do. Now answer the question."

The thoughts in my head go into panic mode, running around my brain, trampling one another in an effort not to be dragged into expression. Since I have no volunteers I grab the first thought I can find. I don't want Vincent to think I don't have a reason. I tell myself it's probably better to go first, Vincent's answer will put mine to shame.