thirteen

"with shortness of breath, i'll explain the infinite"

- 8 years later -

With their bodies intertwined, the boys laid in their bed, Thomas' head resting gently on Newt's chest, light snores coming through. The blonde looked down at his husband, his eyes glistening at the sight. His fingers ran through the brunette silky hair, Newt smiling as he gently places a kiss on his cheek.

"How did I get soo lucky?"

Thomas began to stir awake and looked up at him, his hazel eyes reflecting in his. Newt saw this as a future memory of a child, which popped an idea into his mind.

"Let's have a kid." he says abruptly, Thomas' eyebrows frowning at the sudden thought.

"Well, we can't actually do that because we... you know—"

"No Tommy, of course, I know that! I'm saying let's adopt one."

"Why the sudden change of heart?"

Thomas had been discussing with his husband about adopting a while back. Newt always rejected the idea because he believed that he wasn't ready to be a father yet. He didn't tell Thomas but it was because he was scared of his child being bullied for having gay parents. He had seen it when he worked at the school: children being beaten up and cursed at just because of their parents of the same sex. The blonde didn't want that: to the reason of their abuse and harm.

"Yeah I know, but seeing you here with me... we're missing something. Yes, I know I said that I wasn't ready, but I think I am now. I want to have a child that I can look upon, her or his body cuddling me when they're tired. Please, Tommy?"

Thomas sighed in awe at his response. He was aware of the reason why Newt didn't want a child: it was because of who they were. But he was glad that he was able to see through that and wanted to be a dad.

"You're lucky that I love you dumbass. Let's get ourselves a kid."

•••••

Newt was in love as soon as he walked through the door. All these kids, with hope in their eyes, his heart gushed of happiness and joy when he walked to them all. Some engulfed him in a hug, Thomas smiling at the scene in front of him.

"See? You had nothing to worry about." he crept behind him, his arms latching around his waist. Newt giggle as they share a soft kiss, the other kids cheering.

"So, which one do you want?"

"I want them all. They're all soo cute and they deserve a family and—"

"And what?" the brunette asked but it was a blur to Newt.

He was focused on a little girl who was sat in a corner, her green eyes drifting around the room whilst sucking her thumb. Her eyes finally landed on the blonde, him giving her a little wave as she smiles, showing her little teeth.

"She hasn't smiled since she came here." one of the care-workers told him, while downed the boy slightly.

He slowly strolls over to the girl, trying not to scare her off as she also crept closer. When they became close, the boy crouched down to look closer at the girl. She had fiery red hair which was curly and frizzy, covering part of her face. He could see the small, light freckles on her cheeks which gave him a little hope inside. She's the one, Newt thought to himself.

"Hello sweetie. What's your name?"

"... Esme." the sweet girl whispers, which made Newt's heart throb in pain.

It had been only a couple of months since he had lost his best friend. Her death was tragic, it came as a surprise to everyone. No one knew about the cancer, no one knew about the depression. She was so joyful and full of excitement: no one noticed the fake face she had put on. The blonde felt so guilty, he should have been there, he should have noticed what she was going through. He didn't notice it but soon enough, tears were filling his eyes and were streaming down his cheeks, him quietly sobbing.

"I'm so sorry Sir, I didn't mean—" she began to get worried and Newt looked up at her and instantly pulled her into a hug.

Thomas was speaking to one of the other kids when he notices Newt hugging Esme. He smiles a the thought of a protective father, something Newt would probably become. He walks over to them, him sitting next to the two. he placed a hand on Newt's shoulder, which grabbed their attention.

"Now, who do we have here? Hello, little one. I like your hair." Thomas laughed, ruffling her head.

"This is Esme. Esme, this is my husband Thomas." Newt laughs, wiping his tears away. Thomas sighs before placing a kiss on his cheek.

"She's okay up there, Newt. Don't worry."

"Who are you talking about?" the little girl in front of the couple asks in confusion, making them smile in awe.

Newt places the little one on his lap, stroking the strawberry red strands of her hair which put the girl in peace, her snuggling up in his chest.

"She was a close friend of ours. She isn't here anymore, I miss her a little. She had the same name as you, that's why I was crying." Newt explained, him stroking her cheek.

Thomas could see how in love he was with Esme.

"I think we've found the one, blondie." Thomas smiled, holding the redhead's hand. Newt nods, a smile on his face with a happy gasp escaping his lips.

"Esme, how about you could and live us? Would you like that?" she squeals with excitement as she nods frantically, hugging the blonde.

"I take that as a yes, then."

•••••

of course, i was going to give them a child! i mean how cute would it be with thomas and newt with a child :) AWH SOO CUTE AH :)))

one chapter left, my lovelies. thank you all for reading this soo far, it truly means the world.

Faiza :)