Chapter 10 - Gem Lavender

I was stuck for a while, staring over at Gem from across the park. I didn't know how she'd take my return, for one thing. And I didn't know what I would say, for another.

But after another minute, I squashed my indecision and walked over to greet her.

Gem was talking to a young man whom I remembered from school. His name was Reed- I'd been practically in love for him for a year and a half before he noticed that Gem was prettier and smarter than anyone else in Cavebrook.

"Gem Lavender," I said, keeping my composure in check. "It's been a while."

She turned away from Reed, who gave her a hasty good-bye and left to join his friends.

"Ah," she said, looking at me sideways, as if thinking. She paused. "I'm sorry- your name escapes me."

Yeah, I bet it does, I thought. Nobody else in this town has recognized me yet.

"Comet," I said. "I'm Comet Flicker."

I expected her eyes to widen, a snide smile to tug at her thin lips, alarm to dart across her face- what I didn't expect was a dull look of incomprehension.

"Comet Flicker..." she said. "I'm vaguely remembering that name. Did you visit here a while ago?"

"Quit toying with me," I said grimly.

"What?" Gem said, sounding a little irritated. She looked into the fire, then glanced back at me. "I'm sorry I don't remember you, I guess. Hey- what's the matter?"

My hands were shaking. "You actually don't remember me."

"The name rings a bell," Gem said. She looked at me patiently. "Give me a hint."

A hint, I thought bitterly. I'll give you a hint.

"Last I saw you I was standing on the roof of your porch talking to you through your bedroom window," I replied, grinding my teeth. "How about that?"

"Comet Flicker..." Gem muttered. She gasped. "Oh, right- we went to school together, didn't we? Yes, I think so. And that was the night you ran away from Cavebrook..." She tilted her head. "You said some really rude things about me, didn't you?"

"Nothing worse than what you said about me," I replied in a low voice. "And my family."

"That nonsense?" Gem laughed. "They were all jokes! And nobody ever believed me." She shrugged, smiling kindly. "Hardly anyone ever heard about it anyway."

"Nobody heard you? Nobody believed you?" I said, unable to comprehend what I was hearing. "Do you really think that?"

"Well, some people overreact about things," she said, looking at me pointedly. "Like people who run away from their hometown because of a rumor. Tell you what- I didn't think I'd ever see you again, Comet. I really didn't think you'd last this long-"

I swung at her with my fist, only to be grabbed at the shoulder with my hand inch from her face. Gem looked shocked as I spun around to see who had stopped me.

"Hey, hey," Abigail said, holding onto my arm. "What's going on... Comet?"

"Lemme at her," I growled, turning back to Gem, who was smiling again.

"What a maniac," she scoffed. "I always knew it, Flicker."

"Don't you dare talk to her like that," Abigail snapped, dropping my arm and stepping forward. "Look- I don't know what's going on-"

Gem rolled her eyes at Abigail. "Ah, the rescue team. Who are you? Your accent makes me think somewhere I don't care about. And why do you think you've got any authority over me? This isn't about you, kid."

"I'm the kid? Sure. Absolutely. Meanwhile, you appear to have the maturity of a screaming politician, so-"

"Why are you still here? I just said this wasn't about you. It's between me and this insect."

"Well, every time you insult Comet, I get a little more involved. Get it through your thick skull, you daft hippo. I'm backing her up," Abigail snapped. I opened my mouth, but I couldn't get a word in edgewise. "What exactly do you have against her?"

"What do I have against Comet? Well, you're obviously stupid, so I'll cut you a break. But let's just say that around here, we have to keep our dogs on leashes."

Abigail's jaw dropped. "You little-"

Gem cut her off, chuckling condescendingly. "No, no, no. You-" but suddenly Gem's eyes flashed dark blue and she fell silent. She sat back down on the table and placidly watched the fire.

I don't like possessing people- especially not in this town- but I had to draw the line somewhere, Yraak harrumphed. What a disgusting creature.

Abigail was fuming. "I'm going to-"

"Do nothing," I interrupted her. Suddenly, I felt the same way I had felt that night on Gem's porch roof. "She's not worth it. Not worth anything, in fact. She'll die here. Alone, probably. At least I've got that to look forward to. Maybe I'll come for her funeral and paint smiles on her coffin."

"Wh-what?" Abigail couldn't understand my calmness.

"You're the one who stopped me from punching her the first time," I argued. "Come on, she isn't worth our time."

I'll keep her here until you leave the park, Yraak said.

"Ah, please," Abigail was muttering. "I'll hold her down and you can kick her. And I won't tell any of the others."

I grinned. "Let's just go back to the hotel."

Abigail rolled her eyes, but she followed me.

My nemesis was left in the park, alone.

I, on the other hand, walked with my best friend all the way back to our hotel.