Chapter 17 - Peak's Fall

Out of necessity, we left Cavebrook immediately thereafter. Zina would later say that we flew out of town "faster than a footstep on sun-baked asphalt."

But thank Lyte we did. I later learned that Shadow's soldiers had stormed the (then partially abandoned) town of Cavebrook just hours after we had left. By that time, of course, we were in the wilderness and well on our way- night was falling fast and Shadow's soldiers weren't desperate enough to come into those treacherous mountains after us.

After Cavebrook, everything changed. The first days were very strange, to say the least. I went from travelling with a group of six to travelling with a veritable army. Because we were such a big group and the path was only a carriage wide, our party was a winding line that spanned for miles. We were using a different trail this time (not the Greenblade Pass, the trail we took on the way to Knox's City, I mean). This time, we followed a more well-worn road called Peak's Fall that would lead us out of the mountains slightly to the east.

And because this was the Domain, naturally there was a whole legend around an actual guy named Peak who had carved this trail out eons ago and fallen from the top of one of the mountains. Peak's Fall was a little longer, but it would put us on what was called the Trading Line- the most commonly followed trading trail in the Domain. This trail hit or passed close to nearly twenty small Dominion towns, which was exactly what we needed.

Oh, and here's something you might like to know: that bellhop's name was Eclipse Rural. Cool name, right? He became my personal assistant. I didn't take advantage of him- I swear. But he always brought me news about morale and supplies and what kind of drama I needed to worry about and which people had questions about what.

He also helped organize a census- a brilliant idea, considering we had no clue how many people had followed us out of Cavebrook. The total number, which I'll never forget, was 8,713.

Nearly nine thousand people were crazy enough to follow us. Cavebrook's population was about 30,000, so all things considered, we really did some damage. (And, that's not including people who later left Cavebrook- after we'd come and gone. All told, less than half of Cavebrook's original residents stayed in town over the next few months.)

It took us a little under two weeks to get through the mountains, and on the first night out on the plains, Reinon brought up something I'd completely forgotten.

"It took us a week to get to Maple Village, five days to get to Cavebrook from there, and we spent a week in town," he said, reading out of a journal by firelight. "And it has been thirteen days since we left. That makes thirty days exactly since we left Knox's City," he said, raising his gaze nervously. "Orai expects us back in Lagokia soon."

"It's been a month already?" I gaped at Reinon over the flames of our campfire. "How? How has it been that long?"

"We have been moving far slower than before," he shrugged. "We are not rushing now as we did on our way north."

"He is right," Lykar said, so distracted by this realization that the toast on his skewer burst into flames.

"Orai expects us in Lagokia soon," I gasped, my heart shuddering at the thought. "Oh, no. What's that going to mean?"

The Lagokians all flinched at the same time.

"Orai is going to think we failed," Lykar said in a low voice.

"Not necessarily- we could have died on the trip back," Urtam suggested.

"Well, there will be increased security for sure," Kaian added.

"H-hold on, hold on," I said, keeping my voice as level as I could, though paranoia was creeping through my brain like a parasite. "Let's back up. We need to think about this, because we have a serious enemy now. What exactly is Shadow's next move? They have the power to take Lagokia, don't they?"

"But they still have no reason to wipe out the country," Reinon reminded me. "That was what was stopping them before."

"Well, I'm kind of singing my name to the world now," I argued. "Lagokia was harboring me... that could be reason enough. What if Shadow attacks Lagokia?"

"He won't, remember? Knox is still in charge," Zina said, wagging a finger at me. "And attacking Lagokia is still dangerous to the Domain. Everyone keeps underestimating them, but the Lagokians have better technology, better training, and more to fight for. They might be outnumbered, but they will put up quite a fight."

The others nodded, murmuring their agreement.

"You just said 'them,'" I realized.

"Huh?" Zina turned to me.

"You said 'them' instead of 'us', Zina," I said, tilting my head. "When you were talking about the Lagokians, you didn't include yourself. I don't think I've ever heard you say that."

Zina's eyes widened. "I... I mean-"

"That's not a bad thing, you doof," I grinned, shoving her. "It's cool that you're back in the Domain."

Zina looked around nervously. We all gave her reassuring smiles. Well, except for Kaian, who gave a blink.

"Well, I digressed- but that's good news," I sighed with a sheepish smile, feeling more confident. "What do we think the Domain will do next?"

Scouting, Yraak replied. One of their villages was stripped of nearly a third of its residents- they're going to want to know more about this.

I cursed under my breath. "This is all going to get complicated very fast. What happens if we take in spies thinking that they're rebels?"

"Betrayal is a near certainty," Lykar agreed. "But we do not have to announce our battle plans to the typical Dominion ally. If someone wants our trust, they'll have to work for it."

"That being said," Zina added, nicking the burnt toast out of Lykar's fingers with a nod, "Let's just keep our secrets close, shall we?"