Chapter 15 - Rallying Cavebrook

Getting out of that stupid hotel was a nightmare. The panthers were covered in supplies, so they couldn't exactly get us out fast- not to mention the crowd. People ran up to us, shouting questions, insults, and threats. A few intrepid police tried to catch us again before their eyes fogged over- courtesy of the spirits- and they stumbled away like zombies. Other Cavebrookians started trailing us like an entourage.

"The rally's starting early!" I announced when we reached the front of the simple-looking town hall. And suddenly it was as if an alarm went off. Nearby people scattered like leaves, bolting off to spread the news. A handful of people who had been trailing us on horseback looked at each other happily- they were already packed and ready to go.

Among them was a family with a young man whom I recognized instantly. It was the bellhop!

"I guess I shouldn't be surprised," I said to Zina as we tied the panthers to a signpost nearby. "He did risk his job to give us that memo."

Zina nodded, smiling to herself. "Oh, you're right!" She gave me a shrewd look. "Hey, do you think my old friend will show up?"

"That Gem girl with the stereotypical attitude problem? Lyte's socks, I hope not."

She laughed. "I might have to take you up on that whole 'I'll-tackle-her-if-you-punch-her' offer if she does. By the way, how did you know where I was that night?"

I grinned, gesturing at the bellhop in the front row. "This guy," I laughed to myself. "He works the night shift too, you know."

Zina sighed with a grin, shaking her head.

"Anyway, after I found out you'd been leaving the hotel, I followed you out one night. Lucky, don't you think?"

Zina squinted at me, looking taken aback. "I was at the bonfire for two hours before you showed up!"

"What can I say? I didn't want to ruin your fun, but that was some awesome music. I guess I stuck around a while without telling you," I grinned sheepishly.

A little, lithe man with a terrified look barreled out of the town hall and nearly ran me over. He froze, eyes locking with mine, before he muttered something about the wrong place or the wrong time and vanished into the crowd like a puff of smoke.

"I think we've spooked the mayor," Zina laughed at me as the people swallowed him up. Our following was growing minute by minute now.

"It would appear that we have an audience," Lykar called, nodding at the base of the stairs. "When do we want to start, Abigail?"

"Soon," I assured him. I looked around at the crowd that had amassed at the front of the town hall. People were still streaming out of buildings, running or riding on horseback to get to the base of the town hall. There, our spirits had made a little perimeter, projecting their figures onto the base of the steps to keep people back. And I mean real figures, not just their glowing orbs. They were silhouettes of people- 3-dimensional silhouettes- all one color, which was different for each spirit. Their eyes, which varied not only in color but in size and shape and angle as well, glowed and blinked as they observed the scene.

Yraak's smoky, grey figure turned around to look at me. He winked a navy blue eye.

"You'll be great," he said. "I'm sure of it."

I jumped- Yraak's spirit had spoken. In words. Not thoughts, but actual words. Spirits can manipulate sound, of course, but I'd never thought about the implications. Once I considered it, I wasn't really surprised at all. It was fascinating- Yraak's voice was deep and reassuring, like you'd expect an old bearded man to sound.

"Well, isn't that something- I'd say the whole town's showing up," Zina mused, gaping.

It did indeed seem that all of Cavebrook was pulling itself out of bed to be at the rally, even with the time change. The crowd filled the park and spilled down the side streets- people were even crammed into the windows of nearby buildings to get a better view. There were thousands of people there. I'm not kidding.

We were wrong about one thing, said Jalakoro, who was too weak to create a full visual avatar. He, instead, conjured a typical spirits' signature ball of light. Jal's was a light, foggy purple.

"What's that?" I asked, looking out over the crowd.

We only thought a third of the Cavebrook residents supported you, didn't we? Look around, Abigail. At least half of these people are packed to leave.

My stomach flipped as I realized he was right. Optimism began to bubble in my chest. "This isn't all on us, you know," I added, a smile tugging at my face.

No?

"Have you heard Zina talk about Cavebrook when she was here? These people have been waiting for an opportunity. It's like a hay silo," I realized, the perfect analogy appearing to me out of nowhere. "We didn't put the hay there or build the silo- all we are is a tiny little match, Jal."

Not that it matters, he said, giving me the impression of a shrewd smile. There's going to be a fireball either way.

I laughed.

"Yraak!" I shouted over the growing noise of the crowd. He turned around. "Can you and the other spirits help amplify my voice?"

"My pleasure," Yraak's spirit replied with a nod.

Let's strike a match, then, Jal said. Get on with it already!

"Alright, then..." I paused. "Hello?" I said quietly. It didn't sound like much to me, but suddenly a hush grew over the crowd. The roar dimmed to a murmur.

Suddenly, thousands and thousands of eyes were staring at me.

That didn't bother me so much. Eyes are just eyes, after all. I was more scared of what was behind the eyes.

Every single one of those people scared me. Particularly the fact that their hopes and dreams now laid squarely on my shoulders. They all had motives and thoughts beyond my comprehension. They all were individuals with thousands and thousands of rational thoughts, reasons for their actions I could never expect.

Me... I was just one person with an idea.

You ought to be scared of them, at least a little, I thought. That's how leadership works, isn't it? It's how it should work, anyway. Channel your inner American stereotypes, Abigail.

I paused.

The good stereotypes, I mean.

I took a deep breath.