Chapter 32 - Speaking with the King

Abigail

I ran out, gathering everyone who was still awake. Comet, Lykar, Thunder, Kaian, and Urtam all swarmed into my room, and I started the video call. It was time to talk to King Orai.

I didn't know how to feel- Orai had lied to us. He'd put me in danger, manipulated me, and would have imprisoned me... for the sake of his people. I could respect that, I guess, especially now that I had my own city to look after. At the same time, though, I couldn't help feeling a little frustrated with the guy.

After a few seconds of staring at a dark window, I saw the image of the Lagokian who had lied to me shining in the glass.

His eyes widened, captured in Lagokian photography perfection.

"Hello, Your Majesty," I offered.

"A-Azoria?" he gasped. "Why are you in Kaonon? What happened? We have heard things from-"

My stomach turned at the name Azoria. It was my old Lagokian pseudonym, something I'd thrown off after we turned against the Domain. "Sir," I began reluctantly. "I have a great deal of information for you, but I must insist you refer to me by my real name."

"Az... Abigail...? Ah- what- what are you doing?" Orai demanded, eyes searching. "What... happened?"

I glanced around at the others. "It's a long story."

So we told it.

It took the better part of an hour, explaining the events that had happened since our departure from Lagoki over four months before. We told Orai about the Domain Wall, about our travels, about Comet being a Dominion... we even told Orai the truth about Knox, under the caveat that he keep the information top secret. The king heard us out, nodding along politely. Halfway through the story, however, I began to grow unsettled about something.

But we kept talking, explaining our departure from Knox's City and our adventures after. Once we finished, Orai started pacing, muttering to himself. And I couldn't hold my tongue any longer.

"Sir," I said, as Orai was mulling over what we'd told him.

"Mm?" he looked at me.

I glanced around at the others for a moment, steeling myself. "Our rebels are going to need the help of Lagokia," I said, choosing my words carefully. "And I think I am making a fair assumption when I say that you will support us."

There was a pause.

"Absolutely," Orai said grimly. "Why do you-"

"Just... wait a moment, sir," I said, locking my jaw. "Because as a leader, I think you will also agree when I say that you wouldn't trust someone who has blatantly lied to you after giving you their word."

Orai looked at me strangely, a little nervous. "What is this in reference to, Azoria?"

I clenched my fist.

"Never call me that again," I growled. "You can call me by my Earthling name or you can keep your mouth shut. I give all due respect to your nation, but a Lagokian name is an insult to my identity and my culture."

Comet gave a quiet, low whistle. Kaian's eyes bulged slightly, and Lykar gave me a concerned look. Orai was especially taken aback- he was the king of Lagokia, after all. Nobody ever disrespected him. But his voice was level.

"It is completely inappropriate for you to speak to a king in that manner," he said calmly.

"Similarly inappropriate, I think, for you to address a rebel leader in such a manner," I replied, just as cool. Comet was holding her breath in my periphery- the sight almost made me smile. "Now listen, because I want to make something vividly apparent to you. You have lost my trust."

Orai shook his head, not understanding. "What are you talking about...?"

"What's at the very end of Protocol 042, King Orai?" I asked, leaning back. "In your plan for dealing with Earthlings, does the Earthling ever actually return home?"

"Abigail..." Lykar warned in my ear.

"Hold on," I told him, holding up a hand. "I want to hear it from him." I wanted to force Orai to admit that he had lied to me. It was a bold move, but I was done being pushed around by a lying monarch. We were essentially on the same level now- the politics were only going to get more complicated. I needed to hear his explanation, and I needed to come to terms with it. We were about to go into a war- I had to clear the air first, so that we could move forward.

Orai stood still, looking pained. "I... I see you've figured out the flaw here."

"What would have happened had I returned to Lagoki, Orai?" I asked intensely.

Orai looked into the camera, as if we were standing face-to-face instead of a country apart. Something was different, deep inside those grey eyes. The way he squinted slightly, tilted his head just a bit when he considered me, as if... as if, for the first time, he was actually considering me.

"You would have been detained," Orai said in a flat voice. He nodded gently. "That is what the protocol dictates. There is no way through the Rip without alerting the Domain."

"So I was lied to," I said simply.

There was a long, silent pause. Orai wouldn't apologize- but then again I couldn't expect him to.

"I understand why you did what you did, sir. but know that I personally can no longer trust you, when you put your people first," I said. "Of course, it's a fair priority, and I respect you for it. But we have our own priorities now- our own people. I hope that our forces can cooperate in the future, and bring an end to Shadow's reign. But personal promises are not something I will give heed to any longer."

The ghost of a smile crossed Orai's lips, and he nodded at me.

"I would expect nothing less from you, Miss Vera."

K