Chapter 12 - From the Journal of King Knox

I received an interesting message from the Mountain Region supervisor today. His name is Spring, and he said that there was a dangerous situation developing in Cavebrook, as well as concerns for some of the area's smaller villages.

Supposedly there is a group of people- Spring didn't know how many exactly, and estimates range from five to fifteen- who arrived in Cavebrook just this week, and have been inciting violence and rebellion there ever since. Usually outspoken treason is handled efficiently and violently, covered up fast by local law enforcement. It's why the Domain hasn't had any serious rebellion trouble- if you ask its everyday civilians.

Nobody dares to acknowledge problems that are pounded into the ground so thoroughly.

But something about this time is different. The main problem is that law enforcement couldn't lay hands on the inciters. Spring's men literally could not hurt the newcomers. In fact, getting the police involved in the first place just drew attention to the problem; Cavebrook's local newspaper circulated an article about the "invincible rebels". It reached several nearby towns, like Sap Creek and even Darkwood, before it was shut down.

Spring even mentioned wishing he had contacted me sooner- he didn't think it would escalate this much, and this quickly. There are even rumors of an upcoming riot in Cavebrook. If this goes on for much longer it will mean serious work for my forces. It will mean sending in the national militia, and Shadow will get involved. Well, I don't blame Spring for acting slowly. Nobody wants to get Shadow involved.

I do have some other thoughts on this that aren't safe to put down on paper.

Because of spies, of course. They could be anywhere.

On a rather unrelated note, have a new guard here. That isn't news alone; we get new guards all the time when Shadow gets frustrated and kills one. But there's a new guard with blond hair who has ruffled Shadow's feathers quite a bit. Perhaps he's in love! Haha.

Shadow's been obsessed with this kid since he showed up. Keeps saying we can't trust him. Me, I like the newcomer. And I'd trust him, too, if it came down to it. I can't ever remember his name, though...