Chapter 11

Oakland's Greatest: Chapter 11

~3 Months Later~

"Oh my God Heather. Look at her." I said I held my baby girl. She was beautiful in every which way possible. I actually felt a tear roll down my cheek. I haven't felt a tear in so long it almost feels new. She's only minutes old and already she has my heart.

"She really is beautiful." Heather said as she reached up to grab our daughter. I didn't want to let her go, I wanted her to stay safe in my arms. She was so innocent, so pure, it made me rethink all the shit I've been doing in my life. "I wanna hold her." Heather said. I gently placed her in Heather's arms and watched as Heather cooed to her.

"I love her to death already." I said as I wiped away the tear that broke free. It's hard to believe that I, at 15, have a daughter of my own. It doesn't feel real at all. I'm waiting to wake up from this dream but I already know I'm in reality.

"Me too Arlie. Me too." I reached down and kissed Heather's forehead before smiling down at our daughter.

"Welcome to the world Nicole." She just looked back up at me with her big eyes as Heather snuggled her.

I actually have a family now. I need to let that really sink in.

~A Few Days Later~

"Alright Heather you can go on ahead and go to sleep, I know you're tired." I said as I sat on the couch with Nicole. "Look at you baby girl." I said as I kissed her cheek. "I love you so much, you'll never fully understand." I said in a cooing voice to her.

I laid back on the couch and set her right on my chest, just below my chin and turned on the TV.

"Aww you like a bed of bones huh? I was just like that." I said as I rubbed her back in slow small circles. I remember Mom telling me I used to always prefer sleeping on her or Dad's chest opposed to my own crib when I was just a baby.

I looked down as best as I could and saw she was fast asleep. It's so hard to believe someone as small as her was going to be so much work but then again she's vulnerable in this world so it kinda makes sense in a way.

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" Heather asked from the top of the stairs.

"Yeah I'm fine. Just get some shut eye." She nodded her head and headed back to the room. I pulled a blanket off the top of the couch an gently laid it over Nicole and I, while she was fast asleep on my chest. I just still can't believe she was my daughter. God, it's just too hard to believe.

***

"Hey sweetie." Mom said as she walked in quietly and walked over to me. "Oh my Gosh, look at her." This was Mom's first time seeing Nicole.

"Ain't she a cutie?" I whispered back.

"She is. How much did she weigh?"

"8 pounds 6 ounces." I felt her start to slowly move around. "She's been sleeping since we got home." Mom took a seat in the arm chair and looked over at Nicole with nothing but love-filled eyes.

"Aww, well I guess congratulations on the baby but you really should have waited a few more years." Oh my God. I know my mistake. She doesn't need to tell me anymore. I get it, use a damn condom; well I won't be having any more kids for a long time since I learned my lesson.

"Thanks Mom." At this point Nicole finally woke up with a big yawn. "Aw hey sleepy head." I said as I kissed her forehead. "Grandma's here to see you."

"Look at her beautiful blue eyes. She gets them from Heather huh?" I nodded my head. "Where is she anyways?"

"She's upstairs asleep. Wanna hold her?" Mom willingly scooped her off of me and held her like as if Nicole was another one of her kids.