Pam

My life. . . . . . sucks.

      You can say that I'm one of those people who have enough popularity among the same gender and minimal popularity among the opposite gender, with average grades and an average height. I'm one of those people who have friends and fairness but miss that one little thing that they've been wanting for the longest time ever. And because of that, I am never satisfied with my life. And never will I probably ever be.

     When I was in second grade, a certain boy called Raul moved into my neighbourhood, in my school and in my class. And in the seat beside mine.

      Back then, in primary school, I had ghastly freckles and tiny ginger pigtails which resembled a character in a picture book from the library. My classmates teased me about it every time. Being a grade schooler, I cried every time.

     And then it was the basic cliche.

     Raul came to my rescue one day and after warding the other students away he even complimented my freckles. It was then that I became his utmost admirer and we both became best of friends.

     Raul and I went to the same middle school and after that joined the same high school. Walking through the corridors with Raul by my side was never a boredom. He would always make me laugh about one thing or the other and almost always keep one hand slung around my shoulders. Whether we were standing or walking, whatever. He would always be there for me.

     And one day during my freshman year, when he didn't show up at school because of a flu, I couldn't speak or leave his side until he had opened his eyes and called my name. I had cried a lot that day again.

     A few days later, the captain of the school basketball team, Kaedan, approached me in the hallways.

Kaedan : Hey, Pam! How's it going?

     I was a baller too, though not the captain, yet we knew each other well.

Pam : Pretty great! What 'bout you?

Kaedan : Not too bad. So, uh, do you have plans this saturday? We could, uh, go grab some sushi. . . .

Pam : Uh, are you asking me out?

Kaedan : Kinda . . . . Yes.

     I did blush a bit.
But then Raul walked past.

Pam : Kaedan, that's really sweet of you. I would join you, but I already have plans on saturday.

Kaedan : Oh. It's . . . it's alright. See ya around then.

     I had no plans on saturday.

     And it was then that I realised I had turned Kaedan down only because I wanted to confess to Raul. I had decided. I would do it if I found the right chance.

     That night, Raul jumped in through the window in my room as usual. It was the perfect opportunity. Raul, on the other hand, seemed nervous about something. So I took it easy.

Pam : And why am I being disturbed this midnight?

Raul : I . . . kinda have something. . . to tell you.

Pam : Great! 'Cause . . . I do too.

Raul : So do you wanna go first?

     I hesitated.

Pam : Nah, you go first.

Couldn't possibly be bigger than the news that I'm about to give you.

Raul : Okay. . . . here goes. . . . . . . I'm gay.

     My eyes widened. I allowed whatever he had said to sink in.
Nope, it was the truth.
Tears, tears, tears, tears, tears, tears.

     I had to stop them. I couldn't cry in front of Raul. So I did the opposite. I laughed. I couldn't stop laughing. Raul hugged me. He was definitely taken aback. When I thought he couldn't see my face behind his back, I let some tears stream out. But he saw it. I had no other choice but to lie.

Pam : I'm crying tears of happiness, you fool. That you finally had the courage to come out.

Raul : You knew?

      No I didn't. Nevertheless, I nodded. He smiled.
     Seconds ago, I was dying to shout "I love you, Raul! I do!"

     But instead-

Pam : Now we can both crush on guys together!

     Whatever happened, I still wanted to be a part of his life. And I would. Even if it killed me.

    So, yup.
    Pretty much.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now these characters might have something in common. So yeah . . . That's why they kinda have the same dialogue at the end of each chapter . . . .
- Mallina