Susan

I admit, though with some difficulty, going to Daniel's party wasn't a waste of study time after all. Although luckily, Ginny and Carla were around. Of course their boyfriends couldn't tolerate being away from them for more than two minutes, so duh. They were the ones who had given Ginny and Carla the golden opportunity of being able to attend a high school party and get more tips about stuff like relationships from the kids at the so-called social gathering of youth.

Susan : I'm glad I have someone to talk to. At least I won't have to stand in a corner and do nothing.

Carla : Aren't you gonna spend time with your new boyfriend though?

Ginny : Yeah, Jeremiah, right?

Susan : He's not my boyfriend!

Carla : Yet.

I narrowed my eyes at them.

Ginny : But what happened with Nick?

Susan : I told you. He was a total jerk. So I ditched him. Within like the first ten minutes of the first date.

Carla : Wow.

I rolled my eyes.
Not like Jeremiah wasn't a complete jerk at our first meet either.

Ginny : Oh look! Jeremiah's coming this way.

I turned around. He was approaching us alright. Something about his face told me that he had been shaken up pretty badly. Huh. What could've happened? I turned around again.

Susan : Yeah, so—

   But Ginny and Carla were already standing at least ten feet away shooting me knowing looks from the corner of their eyes. Traitors.
   And then suddenly Jeremiah was right beside me with a drink in hand. I hesitated for the slightest second. It hadn't been the same in front of his house. I knew I'd surprised him by turning up like that but the class representative was the one who had given me his address. So it wasn't like I wanted to surprise him.

   But now it was different because his mood seemed different.

Susan : Um . . . Hi.

   Jeremiah looked at me with his dark eyes that shone like clear lake water. I raised an eyebrow.

Susan : Is everything alright?

   I couldn't believe I'd actually asked him that!

Jeremiah : Yeah . . . No.

   I stared at the kid. What was he thinking?

Susan : Okay. Great.

   And . . . end of conversation. Of course.

   However—

Jeremiah : Something really terrible but horribly weird at the same time happened to me right now.

   I just looked at him. But maybe he interpreted it as an indication to go on.

Jeremiah : My only friend just . . . confessed to me.

Susan : You mean Daniel? Confessed what? You seem like he just told you he's gonna walk off the face of the earth.

Jeremiah : I'm not completely sure if it's worse than that but . . . he tried to kiss me.

Susan : Woah, what?!

Jeremiah : I mean, I think he did. Moreover, he had this really serious look on his face.

Susan : Shit dude! What did you say?

Jeremiah : I was gonna question him but he fled before I could complete what I wanted to say.

Susan : Why didn't you go after him?

Jeremiah : I don't know! He vanished too quickly. . . Ah, why am I even telling you about all this . . . .

Susan : It's okay. You can rant. I'll listen.

   I didn't even need a mirror to tell me that my face was completely straight when I said it, but even then, Jeremiah gaped at me like I was wearing a crown made of pizza.

Jeremiah : Uh, um, tha—thanks. I guess.

   I smirked. The music suddenly turned louder.
   I glanced at the messed up kid in front of me, contemplating the situation.

   Ah, chuck being a nerd!
   It'll only be for one night anyway.

Susan : Let's go dance. It'll take your mind off things. Then maybe you can face your friend properly.

Jeremiah : Huh? But I—

   I took his hand before he could protest further. We stepped onto the dance floor and joined the crowd, moving our bodies to the beat. I could see Jeremiah loosen up a bit. Ginny and Carla shot me a thumbs-up each when our eyes met. I smiled back. Jeremiah caught my gaze. I smiled at him too. He smiled back. Lot of smiling!

   I was right. Jeremiah looked even prettier with a grin on his face.

Jeremiah : You look good when you smile.

   Talk about stealing the thought right outta your mind!

   It felt like someone had poured delicious warm chocolate down my throat. I realised it was the first time someone had ever complimented my smile. I could feel my cheeks becoming hot and before I could stop myself—

Susan : Yeah, you do too.

   Suddenly Jeremiah held my hand.

Jeremiah : So are we good?

Susan : Were we ever bad?

Jeremiah : Chuckle. . . Guess not. But at least, I have another friend to look up to now.

   My eyes widened. Darkness had surrounded the neighborhood by then so I was glad that Jeremiah hadn't noticed my expression. Because whatever I tried I couldn't stop the inevitable emotion from gift-wrapping my heart.

   I couldn't've felt happier.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello!
Brace for the impact! Oh and keep reading.
Vote and comment what you felt about this chapter and share this story with whoever you can!
Thank you buddies!
- Mallina