Pam

If I was to remember it, I was to remember it a million times.

Raul : After we stopped running . . . Daniel actually hugged me!

I couldn't help but stare at him with blank, bored eyes.

Um, okay . . . .

I wanted to laugh at the way my heart relaxed when Raul said that they had merely hugged.

Pam : It could also be that—now don't get angry but—it could be that he's using you to get Jeremiah out of his head. Because . . . he knows it's impossible to get Jeremiah to like him the way he wants.

I had no idea why it was coming out of my mouth right then. I actually had no reason to tell him that.

Raul : How can you even say that? Like why?

I know, right? Why?
. . . . Well, long story short, I could say so only because I was doing the same thing myself.

Pam : . . . . . . I dunno. I just can. And I just think so—whatever I said.

I wasn't even trying to reveal the truth.

Raul had always trusted me. So I couldn't blame him when he took it all in anyway. My god, what was I to do with him? What was anyone to do with him for that matter?

Somehow saying all that increased the guilt in me and the next day, when Kaedan extended a hand for a high-five, I turned it into an awkward fist bump. Like—you know how it goes. A fist into an open palm. Kinda like the greeting before a kung-fu fight.
Kaedan raised an eyebrow.

Pam : Oh sorry, that was—that was just—

Kaedan : Cute! Let's make this our usual then.
I couldn't possibly burst the bubble now, could I? So I nodded vigorously in reply.

After school, I stayed behind in the basketball court to practice some shoots. And yes, at the back of my mind, it was also because I knew Raul was talking to Daniel right then, as I had been there with him in the morning.

Kaedan : Hiding from someone?

What the
The basketball literally slipped from my hand.

Pam : Sheesh, Kaedan! You scared the shit out of me.

Kaedan chuckled, stepping in and picking up the ball that had fallen to the floor with an echoing thud. The emptiness of the gym only emphasised the alone moment I was having with Kaedan.

Kaedan : Was I right though?

Pam : If you're talking about me hiding from Raul, then can you ever be wrong, my all-knowing boyfriend?

Kaedan stared at me and the smile from his face disappeared.

   Oh . . . . He was not talking about Raul?

Pam : Uh . . . sorry. . . Did I say something wrong . . . ?

Kaedan blushed again, covering his mouth with the back of his hand and averting his gaze.

Kaedan : No . . . It's just—you never call me that.

   Sigh of relief.

Pam : What? All-knowing?

Kaedan laughed nervously, fingering his hair.

Kaedan : . . . Your boyfriend. . . .

Pam : What're you mumbling about?

Kaedan : Nothing!

My lips spread out in a smile.

Pam : Duh, dude! Because you are my boyfriend.