Jeremiah

If I had to say a few words about the hangout I had with Daniel and his buddies including two girls called Pam and Tara (yes, I deliberately put emphasis on her name because she was annoying the hell out of me), then I'd say attending a nursery school play would've been less boring.

Okay, fine. Maybe not a nursery school play, but yeah. Almost.

Tara : So, uh, Jeremiah. . . . . About the other day.

Jeremiah : Yeah, I wouldn't like to talk about it to begin with. But if you insist, maybe I'll listen if you get your hands off me.

I sounded . . . . . . definitely bored.

Tara : Ah! O—okay. . . . . So, erm . . . . .

Jeremiah : What?

Tara : I was thinking—you know—maybe—can we just be friends?

Jeremiah : . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I guess.

Tara : Gre—great!

When we all stood outside the door of the pizzeria to bid goodbye to each other, I finally felt better. The fine breeze blowing through my hair felt better. After the others left and only Daniel and I were left to walk home together-

Daniel : I feel bad for Tara. Don't you?

Jeremiah : Not really.

Daniel : But she's nice. And kinda cute too. Why don't you just—

Jeremiah : Shut up Daniel.

Daniel : Hmmm, I wonder if you're saying so because there's some one else. Some other girl you haven't told me about.

Jeremiah : Wipe that smirk off your lips dude because there isn't one. There is no such person in my life.

Daniel : I still wonder . . . . . .

Jeremiah : Well, besides you, that is.

Counting my mom out.

Daniel stopped. His smirk vanished for real and he stared at me for a long time.

Jeremiah : What?

Daniel : Do you know how happy that little remark of yours made me feel? Do you have any idea?

Jeremiah : Well . . . . . Yay?

And Daniel laughed again.

The next day at school, Daniel showed up with the same air of gratitude around him.

Jeremiah : Okay, dude. Stop. You're killing me with all the smiles and . . . . and cheerfulness.

Daniel : Well, what do you want me to do then? I'm just happy.

Jeremiah : Why are you happy, kid?

Daniel : Kid? You've changed. Really . . . . . . And I love that. But my reason for happiness is—

Daniel paused. Because I wasn't listening. My gaze was fixed on two certain students three or so metres away from us. One of them was her. The girl on the stage. The girl with the mesmerizing voice.
And the other one was the lead singer of the Lashers. Apparently he had her pinned to the locker behind her. They were talking in low voices.

Daniel followed my gaze.

Daniel : Susan?

Susan, huh?
At least I know her name now.

I had wanted to talk to her. I had wanted to know more about her. But she was with Nick. Something happened to my heart. A weird feeling flooded my veins. I frowned to myself.

So she has a boyfriend, huh?

Oh well.
Never mind then.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Sup! Don't forget to vote and comment! Thank you!
- Mallina