Chapter 17

Sakura sighed as she got dressed into her ninja attire. They would be leaving for their information mission in a few hours. Sakura had still kept her distance from Itachi. 

  Itachi had been persistent in trying to gain her attention the last few days. He had not given up no matter how hard she tested him. She placed her long pink hair into a bun and began to pack her bags. They would be gone for a few weeks so she wanted to be sure she had clothes other than what she was wearing now. 

  Sakura brought her bag into the living room and waited on Itachi to get ready to leave. He was currently in Tsunade's office arguing over her. Tsunade was very hesitant in wanting Sakura to leave with Itachi. She had wanted Sakura to get back to work at the hospital. 

  Tsunade glared at Itachi as he stated his case for Sakura. He wanted to have her there in case they got into any trouble. She was the only one she trusted fully to heal him or anyone else. 

   "She needs to be here in the hospital. She is the only one we can count on for poisons and as well as she doesn't tire easy like the rest. Why is it so important to have her with you?" Tsunade asked. 

   "She is the only one I can trust. I haven't worked with any other medical ninja as much as I have her." Itachi argued. 

  "That is exactly why you need to work with other medical ninjas. She has other responsibilities." Tsunade said. 

   Itachi sighed and lowered his shoulders. 

  "I don't want to leave her. I am afraid that if I ever leave her alone that something will happen to her. Yuro is being stashed here in the village. I can't bare to think that once I leave that he would escape and come after her. She is the only one who currently knows what his abilities are. She fought him alone and got lucky to have subdued him." Itachi said, defeated. 

  Tsunade smiled softly and looked at him. She knew he wasn't lying to her. 

   "She will be safe here. Yuro would have to go through the entire village before he would ever get his hands on Sakura. She is well loved in this village. It's a wonder how no one has picked her up yet. I have seen how the men look at her. She is just to blind to see that there are other men besides Sasuke in this world. Not everyone is going to hurt her like he did." Tsunade stated, "Take her this time. Your next mission you will be taking someone else. We need her here as much as you need her out there. The village has made it's sarifice and will be allowing you to take her. Next time it will be your turn.

  Itachi nodded and headed back to the apartment. He had only an hour to be ready and to leave. Itachi stopped at a little food shop and got lunch for him and Sakura. It would be many hours before they would get the chance to eat again. Itachi paid for the food and walked down the street. 

  "Itachi! Hey, I need to talk to you now!" A female voice yelled from behind him. 

  Itachi sighed when he saw Izumi running up to him. 

  "Your father told my family everything. How dare you deny me! I am not good enough for you?" Izumi asked, cleary infuriated. 

  "No, you are not good enough. You are a manipulative whore. Our entire relationship was just a power source for you. You do not want me. You want the title that comes along with marrying me, Izumi. I want someone who will marry me for me. That is why I am no longer the heir to my father's position. I am fine on my own. You know, I almost gave up a girl who wanted me for who I am for you. I will not make that mistake again." Itachi said. 

   "Oh, the girl who was once so in love with your younger brother? Do you want to know something I find hilarious? The fact that the minute Sasuke doesn't return her feelings, she runs straight into the arms of his brother." Izumi said with a laugh. 

   Itachi growled softy. This woman absolutely infuriated him. 

   "You should think twice about talking of things you know nothing about. You could end up looking stupid and ruining the clans name." Itachi said as he continued walking down the street. 

   He could hear her yelling for him to come back, but he continued walking. He wanted nothing to do with her. Nothing she did or said would change his mind about marrying her. 

   Itachi sighed softly and opened the door to the apartment. He smiled softly when he noticed Sakura asleep on the couch. Had she been waiting on him to return? He sat the food down on the counter and gathered her bags and put them by the door with his. 

   "Sakura. Wake up, I brought lunch. We need to eat before we leave." Itachi said as he gently shook her. 

   Sakura groaned and sat up. He noticed how cute she looked when she was half asleep.

   "Thank you , Itachi." Sakura said as she walked and gathered her food. 

   They ate in silence for a long time. He had noticed how she avoided any affection from him. Her actions stung but he had deserved them. He had confused her many times. Itachi did not blame her for shutting him out now. 

   "I am sorry, Sakura." Itachi said. 

   Sakura looked at him wide eyed. She had not expected an apology from him. She had expected him to just blow it off. 

   "I should not have strung you along. I will not do that again. I am trying to prove that to you." Itachi said as he cleaned up the food.