Way Back When

Dallon never imagined that he'd get to play with his favorite band.

Panic! had been an inspiration for him when they released their first album in 2005. It's the entire reason he finally built up the guts to create a band and start writing songs.

The Brobecks lasted for a while, but after some time Dallon could tell the band wasn't going anywhere. He felt his creativity slipping away and he could see that their fanbase was only slowly shrinking, not increasing.

"I can't do this anymore.."

Dallon finally had enough one day when the band had gotten together to try and write some songs. His other band mates were extremely confused.

"The Brobecks.. We're over."
He said quietly before slinging his bass over his shoulder, grabbing his things and walking out, leaving the rest of his band in stunned silence.

It was later that year that he'd heard that his favorite band was looking for a new bassist.

Dallon had decided to try out, not really thinking he would get anywhere. After all, he was a washed up musician who couldn't write for shit anymore. He'd listen to his old songs wistfully. Sure, they were no work of art, but at least they were good enough to bring gas to his band's reputation.

He'd shuffled into the tryouts with his bass in hand, not making eye contact with anyone in the room.

Dallon could feel the band's eyes on him and it made him feel so uneasy. How could he sing to a room full of at least 300 people but not look up at the two remaining members of his favorite band?

"Uh.. Dallon Weekes?"

The bassist heard a man call out.

Brendon...?

The voice made the tall man look up and he instantly flushed when he saw the lead singer, Brendon Urie, staring back at him with curious eyes.

"You good there, buddy?"

Brendon asked with a small smile. Dallon was too exhausted to freak out so all he did was smile back tiredly.

"Yeah.. Um, I'm Dallon.. Sorry..."

He mumbled to the floor, something that made Brendon smile. Dallon reminded him of himself in the early days of Panic!.

"Don't apologize. Just show us what you got."

The singer encouraged, waiting to hear what Dallon had to show them. Dallon planned to play the songs he'd been given by Panic! to practice and show off to them along with a song from his own band to show them his writing and singing skills. He played through the Panic songs, cringing violently at himself whenever he messed up.

"You stupid.. stupid piece of shit... What a fuck up.. Idiot..."

Brendon heard Dallon murmur under his breath once after he'd finished a song he'd missed a chord on. The comment made him frown deeply and he felt saddened. The small man was about to assure Dallon he was none of those things because so far he was immensely impressed, but the other swiftly moved on to the next song.

"This.. This is a song from my band The Brobecks.. It's called Small Cuts..."

Dallon's timid voice said as he moved his fingers to the first chord of the song.

"It doesn't take much.. To cover up small cuts.. Hid 'neath the bandages under her sleeve. She just wants attention, we all want attention. She just wants it more than she'd have you believe. Goodnight! Sleep tight!! Don't let anyone bite! She will leave you deaf and bewildered! Oh how she floats like a butterfly, stings like a killer..."

The song sounded quite awkward with just his bass and his voice as the only instruments but it still worked somehow.

When Dallon had opened his mouth and started singing, both Brendon and Spencer had sat up in their seats. No one else that had tried out for the band had a voice that could match Dallon's. It had Brendon mesmerized and Spencer already figuring out who he wanted as the new bassist for the band.

"It doesn't take much to cover up small cuts. Hid 'neath the bandages under her sleeves. Ooh.."

Dallon ended the song.

"You're in."

Spencer and Brendon said in unison, making a shocked Dallon let the bass he was playing drop to his side.

"W-what?"

He stuttered, his mouth dropping.

Brendon got up and put a hand on the older man's shoulder.

"Your voice.. It's amazing. Like nothing I've heard before. And that song from your band? You wrote that, right?"

Dallon nodded slowly, eyes wide.

"Then there's only one word to describe you, Dallon."

Brendon said before pausing.

"What is it..?"

Dallon asked anxiously, fearing Brendon might just be leading him on to get a reaction from him only to say he was kidding and laugh in his face. People had done it before.. Why would he be different? It's not like Dallon thought he deserved any better. His confidence went down the drain with The Brobecks.

Dallon was brought back to reality when Brendon softly squeezed his shoulder reassuringly, looking up at him with a wide smile.

"Perfect."