4.

Senior year of college Taeyong and Jaehyun moved into their first real grown up apartment, a few miles from campus in a nice little complex with a garden in the middle.

They decorated with framed photographs and bright colored paintings, bought a big four-poster bed and the softest sheets imaginable, filled the place with pieces of them that made it a home.

Things were great. More than great.

Taeyong felt like his life was all set up. He had Jaehyun, which was basically all he needed, his future was stretching out in front of him, and everything was perfect.

He decided later that it must be the way of the world to never let anything so perfect last very long.

It started after they celebrated Christmas together. Jaehyun barely touched the dinner his mother made.

Taeyong figured he had a cold, stomachache, or something because nothing looked good.

When they'd gotten back to campus, Jaehyun seemed to be getting better for a while, but then the bruising started. He would wake up with strange purple marks on his legs and arms.

Taeyong was getting really scared, but Jaehyun insisted it was just a bad diet or something. When it got to the point that he had huge bruises all over his body, and he could barely make it up the apartment stairs, Taeyong finally insisted he go to the doctor.

He could see the concern in the doctor's face when they discussed the symptoms.

Round after round of tests proved the doctor's worst fears to be right. Leukemia. Advanced and aggressive.

Taeyong was terrified.

How could his big strong boyfriend have cancer? He seemed so invincible.

The doctors were convinced that with his youth and relative strength he had a fighting chance of beating the disease.

The day he died, Taeyong wanted to kill them all for letting him hope.

It was so unfair. He'd managed to find the one person he wanted to love forever and he was gone.

Jaehyun gone.