Control

"But I don't have any magic, it's only faint, that's what I've been told by, like, everybody" I say, trying to calm down my panicked speech.

"Are you sure about that?" He asks, coming closer to me.

"Yes I am. I only know how to do a couple things, like maybe throw a fire ball, that's it, and the fire ball itself isn't very destructive, it burns out as soon as it hits something"

"Well the power inside of you is still growing, and it needs a push. It's controlled by your emotions, maybe you need to experience a certain emotion to acquire it"

"My mother did raise me to control my emotions, to keep my powers hidden" I point out. "But what does the magic inside me have to do with anything?"

"With your magic, I can increase the power of magic on the island"

The screams of the boys had completely disappeared now, leaving only the sound of the wind blowing the trees. I jerk my eyes away from Pan, looking up though the clearing at the moon. It was full, with stars twinkling around it. Not taking my eyes off of the brightest star I had found in the sky I asked Pan a question.

"What does it mean to be lost?"

When I don't receive a reply I look away from the star, finding that nobody was standing in front of me. I twirl around, looking to see if Pan has just wandered off somewhere, but I was the only being in the area.

I find a spot against a tree and wrap my cloak around myself, trying to get some warmth. I closed my eyes, letting the breeze blow my hair into my face, and drift off into a deep, peaceful, dreamless sleep. When I woke up I felt like a bear waking up after hibernation, except it felt like I had been asleep for a couple days, not months.

"Good morning sleeping beauty" Pan says when he noticed my open eyes.

Instead of the open sky in front of my eyes there was a roof, that of a treehouse. I was laying on a very soft bed, it felt like the mattress was made out of rose petals, with a warm blanket laid on top of me.

"Why am I in a bed?" I look to the side and find my cloak folded on a desk. "Who's bed am I in?"

"I couldn't let you sleep on the cold ground now, could I?" He asks, picking up a crossbow that was leant against the bed. "Anyway, the fun's just about to begin"

He climbs down the ladder and wanders over to Henry who was asleep. I got out of the bed, wrapping my cloak around myself, and stepped outside to watch what was going to happen. He wakes him up, explaining something to the younger boy. He points a crossbow at his face, making me ready to jump down from the treehouse to save Henry. Then, he tosses him the crossbow which had an arrow with some black liquid dripping off of the end.

"What's that?" I hear Henry ask Pan.

"It's dreamshade, a nasty poison" Pan answers.

An apple appeared in his hand while he stood in front of a tree, placing the apple on his head.

"Go ahead" Pan tells Henry.

Henry carefully aims the bow at the apple, trying to be very precise. The boys created a circle around the little area, chanting. Then at the last minute, before he shot, he changed the course of the arrow. He aimed it directly at Pan's chest just as he pulls the trigger. I gasp, not knowing what was to come with his actions. Either Pan was going to be dead, or Henry. The lost boys cheer as Pan catches the arrow just before it hits his chest. Pan smiles and takes him to the side to show him something.

The boys disperse and start playing with knives while Henry and Pan sit on a log and start talking. I pry my hands from the railing and climb down the ladder. I try to make my way to them but one of the lost boys starts attacking me with a knife. I duck out of the way of the knife and back away from him. The boy looked like one of the older ones, he had a hood covering his face but strings of blond hair were visible.

"You don't belong on this island" he says.

"I think the same thing. I want to leave, but I can't, thank your all powerful leader for that"

He swings the knife at me again but I jump back every time he tries to slice me with it. I'm backed up against a tree and he pushes the blade against my neck, just enough to spill blood. I keep my temper at a minimum, knowing I would only cause more damage to myself than those around me.

"If he said you can't leave the island then I guess he won't have a problem with me killing you" he hisses.

"Then do it" I tell him in an emotionless voice.

The blade is pushed up further against my neck but I could see he was still trying to decide wether or not to actually kill me. I stare him dead in the eyes, or where I believed were his eyes, and wait for him to slit my throat. He stands there for seconds, then a minute, and reluctantly pulls away. I raise an eyebrow but he turns and walks off into the forest in the direction of the beach I had arrived on.

"So that just happened" I mumble as Pan walks over to me.

"You know he'd never actually kill you, right?" He questions then grows darker. "I would never allow it"

"Pipe down piper" I tell him, using the end of my cloak to slow the bleeding of my neck.

"Let me help you" he says, guiding me to a log.

He grabs a wet cloth and starts dabbing at the wound on my neck gently. I stare into his eyes as he concentrated, watching my neck and where he cleaned.

How can this possibly be the boy that is described as a beast?