- 14 -

F O U R T E E N

..... ..... ....

A Strange Stranger

________________________

Dear stranger,

You were just another silhouette I glimpsed. You were just another figure in a fortuitous time and place. You were just another chance I missed.

One was the number of our unromantic tryst.

Two was the number of elevators operating.

Three was the number of minutes it took until the elevator dinged.

Four was the number of buttons that were lit, indicating which floors the elevator would stop by.

Five was the number of people getting inside the elevator.

Six was the number of lamps lighting what little space in that elevator.

Seven was the number it showed on the clock at the time.

Eight was the first number of the floor levels whose light died out, and that was when you walked out.

Nine was the number of breaths I'd been holding that whole time.

Ten was the number of floors separating us.

You wouldn't remember me, that much I know. But it's okay, for I know I'm just another face in another place. And also, for the fact that I wouldn't remember you as well.

So I'm just a strange stranger. Strange, how you gave me strange thoughts. Strange, but not stranger than strange strangers. Hey stranger, did you know? We could be so much more than mere strangers if only we didn't stay as strangers.

Ten floors seemed so close yet so far. Ten floors made me wish it was ten doors instead. Ten floors were nothing more than a number attached to a noun when there's no meaning behind.

A story has to start somewhere. Every story in a relationship has to start with a gap, and ten floors were the gap that divides us. Question is, will we ever close that gap?

A/N: Heeyy! So I don't know if anyone noticed, but I updated a day early last week smh... I also published this chap accidentally two days ago >< Gotta keep track of that orange button...

So I'm planning to check the completed part soon, but that doesn't mean Tall Tales will just stop altogether. Even if this story is completed, Tall Tales will always be a compilation of capricious randomnesses, so... anytime anywhere I might just upload.

Stay tuned, for this chapter is kinda like the teaser for the next chapter. First time there's two kinda correlating chapters! 😊

Ah, since I got some help, I'd like to thank the person who spotted a few grammatical errors yesterday – even if that person might not read this 😅

Post Scriptum

Yes stranger, I was talking about you, but I was not really talking about you. Capiche? No? Good.

Love eternally,
Caera Keane