Chapter Twelve

One Month Later

"Alissa are you sure you want to stay here alone?" Bella asked for what seemed like the hundredth time.

"Bella. It is family night. I'm not part of the family. You all go and have fun. I'll be fine." I said pushing her toward the door.

"But Ali." Bella started so I grabbed her arm and drug her to the car where her parents were waiting.

"Get in." I demanded and she stared at me for another minute or so and they drove away. I walked back inside, closed and locked the door. Then, I popped a bag of popcorn and sat on the couch. I flipped through the channels and settled on Hawaii five- o. Halfway through the episode I heard footsteps. I immediately knew I was in trouble.

I turned on the couch toward the kitchen just as he stepped in the room. "Alissa. I made you a promise. I always keep my promises." Daniel said smiling his creepy smile. He lunged at me causing me to drop my popcorn. It spilled everywhere.  I was thrown backwards and my head banged into the coffee table.

I felt the blood begin to slowly trickle down my cheek. I started to stand and then he was suddenly on top of me. He grabbed my hair and pulled out a clump of it causing me to scream. I pushed him off of me and jumped up.

I ran to the front door and unlocked it but as I started to pull it open he came up behind me and grabbing my arm. He spun me to face him and pushed me against the door. He raised his hand balled into a fist and punched me across the face.

I raised my left arm to block his next punch but he grabbed it and twisted it behind my back until I heard it snap. I screamed as kicked him in the shin and managed to push him back and was able to get out of the house.

I started running. I ran straight into the road in front of a car. The car screeched to a stop. The drivers door flew open and a man stepped out. "Hey! Get out of the- oh my god! What happened to you!?" He asked coming toward me.

"Get back here Alissa!!" Daniel screamed from behind me, he had finally caught up to me. "Who the hell is that!?" He screamed the question at me. Then, he punched me in the ribcage and I doubled over in pain.

"Hey! You are not supposed to punch a lady! Pick on someone your own size!" The guy said pushing me behind me. Daniel went crazy and lunged at the guys throat. The guy whirled and planted a foot a across Daniel's face. Daniel fell to the ground unconscious. "Are you okay?" He asked me.

"No. Could you take me to the hospital? And allow me to borrow your phone?" I asked the guys whose name I don't even know.

"Sure. My name is Grant and here's my phone. Do you want to make the call outside or in the car?" Grant asked me.

"Could you help me into the car?" I asked and he nodded. He slipped an arm around my waist and he slowly helped me to the passenger side and opened the door for me. I eased into the seat slowly. "I know this is going to sound strange but could you dial a number for me?" I asked my hand shaking so hard that the phone slipped from my hand toward the blacktop. He caught it before it could hit the ground.

"Sure. What's the number?" He asked.

"(270) 963- 2405." I said and he stared openly at me. "What?" I asked.

"That's my dad's number. I'll talk to him. He will be here soon." He said waiting for Smith to answer the phone. "Dad. How soon can you get to these coordinates?" He asked and there was a slight pause. "That's good. See you then." He said hanging up on him.

"Is he coming?" I asked he nodded as a dark sedan came toward us.

"What is it Grant? Did you do that?" Smith asked pointing at Daniel not even noticing me. Daniel shrugged embarrassed. "Why?" Smith asked and I slowly forced myself out of the car.

"He saved my life Smith. I'd be dead by now if he hadn't showed up when he did." I said going to shrug and wincing in pain.

"Alissa! I'm so sorry. I should have kept an eye on you, but I figured that you would be fine with the Sheriff. Where is he?" Smith asked placing the handcuffs on Daniel and shoving him in the backseat.

"It is family night. I'm not family." I said not even noticing that a couple doors down the Sheriff had come home. That is until I heard my name being screamed. I turned my head and saw Bella, her mom, and the Sheriff run out of the house. "Crap. This is just great." I muttered. "Bella! Over here!" I screamed and watched as they a turned and ran toward us.

"Alissa!" Bella started.

"I'm fine. Really. I am. I'm just going for a ride with Smith's son. Bye." I said getting in Grant's car and he got into the drivers side and shut the door.

"So. Why didn't you tell them that your arm was broke? Or that I was taking you to the hospital?" Grant asked.

"Because they worry to much." I said only telling half the truth.

"They should. They are your parents." He said.

"How old are you?" I asked.

"Seventeen, why?" He asked confused.

"Boy are you out of the loop. My mom is dead, my dad is in a coma, and my brother got drafted. Bella's my best friend she all but made me stay with her." I said wincing when he hit a bump.

"Sorry. How do you know my dad?" Grant asked.

"He was investigating a case for me my boyfriend beat me. He even put me in the hospital. I was stubborn and wouldn't tell him who done it. Then he turned out to be the one who kidnapped my best friend." I said as we pulled into the hospital parking lot.

After he parked he helped me out of the car and helped me into the hospital. "Ms. Sinclair?" A voice said from behind me and I turned my head to see my dad's doctor. "Ms. Sinclair. I have news about your father." The doctor said.

Forgetting about my broken arm I spun and ran to him. "What happened?" I asked.

"Your father had a heart attack. He is in surgery. I was just about to call you. Do you need help?" Dr. O'mally said glancing at my arm.

I swayed. "No. I just got my arm broke and I have blood running down my face. So no I don't need help!!" I shouted at him then I began to see black spots and my ribs began to ache. So when the darkness came I embraced it happily.