Chapter Five

When I woke up again I was slumped in the chair next to my dad's bed. Last nights events come back to me in a flash. I jumped up and looked around for Bella. I quickly grab dad's cell phone since I had left mine with Bella when I found her at the foot at the stairs.

I dial my phone number praying that Bella still had it. As I was praying she answered on the second ring. "Ali. Is that you?" Bella whispered into the phone.

"Yes. Do you know where you are?" I ask.   

"I don't know. The man knocked me out. I never saw his face. I've got to go." Bella said worriedly and hung up.

"I'll find you Bella. I promise." I whispered into the phone. I failed her phone number next knowing the kidnapper would have it. The man answered.

"If you want this brat back I want two million dollars. I will call you back with directions. Good luck." The man said hanging up.

Then, I failed the number that I should have called first. The Sheriff answered on the first ring. "Hello?"

"Sheriff. It Alissa." I said.

"Alissa! Why aren't you answering your phone? Who's phone is this?" The Sheriff asked angrily.

"It's dad's. I can't answer mine. But you need to stop calling it you'll get Bella killed." I said.

"What do you mean? Where's Bella?" He asked.

"Come to the hospital. I'll explain everything." I said. He hung up and in minutes he was in the room red-faced and breathing heavily.

"Now. Explain." He said.

"Come with me. Remember when I called last night? Week Bella had left half an hour before that. When you said that you hadn't seen her I lied, hung up and went to see if she was still at the hospital. She often took the stairs. So I checked there first. These stairs actually. Come on." I said walking down the stairs.

"So I got to the second floor and I saw her at the foot. I ran down the stairs and pulled out my phone. I said her name and slipped it into the inside pocket of her jacket. She screamed warning me. I turned and I was knocked out by a guy in a ski mask. When I came to I was in dad's room." I said.

"I called my cell and she answered on the second ring. She's alive but she has no idea where she is or who took her. Then she hung up." I said glancing at him he was passed and worried. "Then I called her cell. A man answered. He wants two million dollars for her." I said looking him in the eye.

"Are you okay?" He asked just as dad's cell rang. I pulled it out of my pocket. Looked at the  number and turned it on speaker.

"Hello?" I answered on the second ring.

"Ali. I heard what he said. He was in the room when you called. I barely had time to hide the phone. Do not pay the ransom. He said he had no plans on killing me." Bella said.

"Bella. Your dad's listening do you have anything you want to say?" I asked both of them.

"Bella. I'm going to find you. I promise. And Bella I love you. Don't get caught with the phone it's the only way I can contact you." He said.

"I'll call you. I can't get caught just as you said. I've got to go. Bye." Bella said and hung up.

"Go to school Alissa." He said and walked away