Chapter 10

Chapter 10

How can my heart still beat, I asked myself, if it’s utterly broken? I felt ill – sick of the guilt; sick of myself. I was lying in my bed, thinking about what I said... what I should have said. There was a knock on my door. Out of everybody that I know, I never thought it would be Aura.

‘Hey,’ she said gently as she closed the door, ‘want to talk?’

‘Not really,’ I mumbled as I pulled the covers over me.

‘Well, we’re going to,’ she said as she lifted up the covers and climbed in next to me, leaving me no choice but to move over, ‘So... What’s going on with you and Sam?’

‘I don’t know.’ I shrugged, grumpily.

‘Let’s start with: why did you go on a date with Reid?’ Aura quizzed me.

‘I don’t know.’ I repeated.

After a long silence, Aura perked up. ‘Fine... I know what will cheer you up. Say the first thing that comes into your head. Apples.’

‘Oranges.’ I replied.

‘Chocolate.’

‘Cake.’ I said, feeling silly.

‘Happy.’

‘Sad.’ I stopped thinking about what I was saying.

‘Love.’

‘Sam.’

It hit me harder than ever just how much I truly love Sam. He could be the one I spend the rest of my life with. Oh, great, I thought, so now you start believing in fairy tales?

‘You love Sam,’ Aura stated the true fact, ‘that’s what’s in your heart... Even if it is broken – or Sam’s stolen it – whatever cliché you want to go with – it doesn’t matter. You love Sam.’

‘Yes, I do. I know- I know that I do.’

‘Then why did you go on the date with Reid?’ Aura asked again. ‘Well? I’m waiting.’

‘I don’t know.’ I said, closing down my emotions.

‘Let me ask you again.’ Aura said with a calm anger. ‘Why did you go on that date with Reid?’

‘I felt like I had to!’ I shouted at her and then tried to gain control of my voice, ‘Because I felt like I had to. When I’m around Reid, I feel electric shocks; I feel forced into liking him. When I’m around Sam... I see sparks fly. It’s not forced; it’s more... natural. That’s probably because he’s my twin-soul.’

‘Why do you feel like you have to like Reid?’ Aura interrogated me.

‘I don’t know. It’s when I feel the electric shock, when he’s around, I have to like him. I feel distressed by it but I can’t stop it.’ I admitted to her.

‘Well... if we find out why you feel that way then we might be able to stop it.’ Aura smiled at me. ‘But-’ she said it as “buh-ah-t” – ‘you need to talk to Sam.’

As much as I was worried about talking to Sam, I knew she was right. I had to speak to him; I owed him at least that much. ‘Yeah, of course I will.’

‘You better.’ She climbed out of my bed. ‘And soon.’ She closed the door behind her.

I decided that I’d talk to Sam, face-to-face, at work tomorrow. No point in being a coward and doing over the phone tonight – we both needed to give it a little bit of time before we do anything.