Chapter 12

Chapter 12

‘Electra,’ he smiled and then jogged towards me, ‘are you alright; are you hurt?’

‘I’m okay,’ I said as I wiped my lips, ‘just had to do some amazing acting to gain their trust.’

‘I know,’ he looked a little angry, ‘I could hear what you two were saying; I was just outside the door. Did he- Did he kiss you?’

‘Yes, but only because he was having doubts about whether to trust me or not. But now he does. And just to make clear: I really don’t love him.’ I explained. ‘I can tell you all about the date with Reid-’

‘I don’t want to hear it.’

‘No, I mean why I went on it. Daphne’s power is to control people’s emotions. It only really works if she’s in the room with you but I was ready for her attack so it didn’t work but they expected it to work!’

‘Come on, let’s get you out of here.’ Sam said gently pulling me towards the way he came up.

‘Where are the others?’ I asked.

‘They’re trying to handle everyone else.’

‘Where are we?’

‘In an abandoned town,’ Sam answered and picked up the pace, ‘this building is just one section of the town... I say town more like a village – but not fairy-tale-like, more like a city – a city-village-’

‘Sam,’ I stopped to make him face me, ‘please look at me.’ His grey-silver eyes met my hazel ones. I lifted my chin and rose up on my tip-toes to plant one on him. When we parted, Sam’s eyes were shining a white-ish blue; mine were probably a white-ish yellow. It’s the colour of electricity.

‘Let’s keep, err, walking. We’ve got to get out of here.’ Sam recovered from his surprise and walked down another corridor. He pushed me back before we headed towards the door as some woman scurried past us. She didn’t even acknowledge us. Damn, that place was creepy.

We made it through the door into the road and I saw what Sam meant by an abandoned town. There buildings that looked like flats and offices but they looked deserted. ‘Where is everyone?’

‘Arella is with Sonny making sure no one gets in or out of this town.’ Sam explained. ‘Come on, if we get you out of here, we give the others the signal and they all retreat.’

All of a sudden a door slammed open and Reid came running outside. ‘Electra,’ he shouted as he got closer, ‘what are you doing with him?’

I sighed, preparing my acting skills. ‘Reid, thank God! He was trying to take me away.’

The door banged open again and there were different people shouting. I looked past Reid and saw Ace and Ryvre arguing with Aura and Taran. Daphne, Talia and Luke stood casually behind them, just staring at the fight that was breaking out. Mum stood watching the events unfold – probably using her power to see if anyone is going to do anything reckless. Dad was busy keeping a force field around mum and the participants in the argument. A window next to us smashed as someone was thrown through it. Ashling climbed carefully out of the frame and up to the man he had thrown.

‘Hugh!’ He shouted back through the window frame where my brother appeared, ‘this is one of the guys that kidnapped Ryvre. Get the other one.’

Hugh suddenly came rolling out of the window with a man in a headlock position. Apparently they preferred do it with fists rather than a fight of powers.

‘Don’t worry, Electra,’ Reid said to me after we all had gotten over the action taking place, ‘I won’t let him hurt you anymore.’

That’s when Scotia and Seth decided to make an appearance. They walked out and all the action calmed down. The two men that were fighting with Hugh and Ashling took that to their advantage and twisted their arms behind their backs to hold them in a painful position.

‘Hello, Ryvre,’ Scotia smiled at her, ‘you remember your mother and father don’t you, dear?’

‘Yeah, they’re making sure you don’t escape.’ Ryvre spat at her.

‘And you remember Bill and Hank.’ Scotia added and then gestured to the two men holding Hugh and Ashling. That’s why they were so familiar.

Daphne moved as if she had been given her orders telepathically and she touched Ryvre on her shoulder. Ryvre straightened up as if she felt an electric shock. Then she started walking towards Seth and Scotia.

‘No, Ryvre!’ Ace cried and tried to stop her but Scotia made his body stay. She has the ability to take control or inhabit someone’s body.

Ryvre went and stood by her ex-adoptive parents. Daphne made Aura and Taran start arguing again so they were too focused to do anything. I couldn’t figure out what Luke and Talia were doing. I felt a little shiver of hope when Arella and Sonny arrived on the scene but Arella and mum began to argue, and so did dad and Sonny. Talia and Luke seemed to help project Daphne’s power.

Then I made my first mistake. ‘Reid, please make everyone happy,’ I begged him, ‘make it all go away – make them go away.’ I tried to fix it and luckily he didn’t seem to notice my error.

‘Don’t worry, Electra. It’ll all be over soon-’

But Scotia did. ‘Reid, what’s the point? She is obviously faking it.’ I didn’t understand if it was a trick to catch me out. So, I tried to look as confused and as doubtful as I could. ‘If she really wanted to help you, she wouldn’t want everyone to be happy; she’d want you to be happy. Also, Daphne’s power doesn’t last that long in her absence unless someone else is amplifying it – but Luke and Talia have been with Daphne the whole time.’ Oh, I thought, that’s their power: they amplify others’ powers. ‘And the one thing that makes it the most obvious... look at her eyes. They don’t shine like that for you. They shine for him.’ Scotia was spot on: my eyes shine for Sam – and Sam only.

‘Come on, ma’am,’ Reid argued, ‘she’s not that good of an actress...’ As he began to have a “heated discussion” with her – probably due to Daphne’s power being amplified – I leaned over to Sam and whispered to him as I thought now wasn’t a good time to find out I’m angel.

‘Sam, watch out, Seth can manipulate your memory and Scotia can possess your body.’ I whispered and hoped he had heard me.

The other mistake I made was that I forgot that Reid had super-hearing, like me. As soon as he heard me whisper to Sam, he spun round to face me. He had got the proof he had wanted from Scotia. Seth was glaring at Sam, preparing to use his powers on him.

Reid didn’t say anything to me. Instead, he just grabbed me by my upper arms, squeezed me tight enough so he could lift me up as he prepared to throw me to the floor a couple meters away. Hitting the ground hurt. I could feel every graze and bruise that occurred. My tights had gained ladders and holes in them as I skidded as I landed.

Now I was angry.

Not because of Daphne’s power. No, but because he had ruined a good damn pair of tights.

Hugh using his powers of causing pain via mind manipulation seized the moment and Hank suddenly curled up, screaming. Ashling used Bill’s surprise to get out of the headlock and he had the advantage as he foresaw Bill’s moves. Hugh kept both Bill and Hank in pain. Ashling saw that I was about to charge at Reid and decided to take him on himself.

‘Sam!’ I ran to him, ‘we can get out of here, remember: get me out of here; give the others the signal and they retreat?’

‘I don’t know what you’re talking about.’ Sam said bitterly, ‘who are you? I don’t know who you are?’

‘Sam, it’s me: Electra.’

‘Sorry, have we met? I don’t remember, sorry. Do you know how I can get home from here? I’ve got a party to get to.’ Sam said, he was completely different person.