Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Checking over my shoulder as I put my money into my purse, I walked down the road and headed for the cinema. I bought two tickets for the film Blended. I didn’t know if Sam wanted to watch the others, but come one, a film with Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler in must be good. Remember when they filmed 50 First Dates – good movie. That cost me fourteen pounds (seven pounds each for an adult) and then I bought some popcorn – salted was my favourite and if Sam didn’t like it I’d buy him some other flavour – and one large coke (no harm in sharing, right?), then I went and stood outside the cinema, waiting for Sam.

The film starts are three-fifteen (minus adverts), that’s why I said meet at three, so we could get some seats. Everyone kept scurrying past me. When it reached ten-past three, I called Aura and asked if she wanted to watch the movie. Ace and Ryvre went with Ashling to go see Georgia – she’s supposed to be waking up soon! And I really didn’t want to get my parents involved in this mess. Luckily, Aura was five minutes away, so I waited for her and watched the film with her.

I didn’t pay much attention to the film. I was trying to think of excuses for Sam’s absence. But when all I could come up with was that he’s either been in a terrible accident or he doesn’t care, I forced myself to enjoy the film. It was about a really bad blind date and Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler don’t want to see each other anymore and they both go away on holiday they end up sharing a suite at an African safari resort.

It was a good film and I probably would have enjoyed it more and would have been more enthusiastic about the conversation about it afterwards but all I could think was Sam doesn’t care. As I walked out of the cinema, Aura was telling me about the meal that we’re all going out for later tonight – to celebrate our “victory” – if you could call it that – over black-souls. After I said, “that sounds great”, Aura went back to talking about the film, saying, “wasn’t this part just the best” and “that scene...!” I zoned out and made noises to agree with her.

I looked up and saw Sam walking down the road. He paused when he caught my gaze. I could feel my heart wither and die. Tears filled my eyes and my vision blurred slightly. Aura sensed something was wrong without looking at me as she stopped talking.

‘Electra,’ Sam called as he jogged towards us, ‘Electra, I know-’

‘Save it, Sam,’ I snapped at him, ‘I told you to come or we’d be finished. And that’s what we are: finished.’ He didn’t say anything. ‘I don’t want excuses, you can still have your job, but you’re just an employee – that’s it!’

‘Electra,’ Aura spoke gently, ‘your bus is due, and I’ll see you tonight at the meal. We can talk then.’

‘There’s nothing to talk about,’ I told her whilst glaring at Sam, ‘yeah, I’ll see you there.’ With that... I walked away and got on my bus home. Half way home, I decided to go visit Georgia, so I changed buses and went to the hospital.

I held in my tears and my anger all the way to the hospital, up in the elevator, down the corridor, through the ward and into Georgia’s room. I had to be strong. Georgia has her own stuff to worry about let alone some twin-soul fairy tale bull.