Chapter Twelve

After being ushered quickly into the depths of the helicarrier, Natasha lead us through hallways and past numbered rooms, most requiring key cards and passwords to enter. I could probably fry the locks, or at least melt a hole in the doors if I wanted. I still didn't know if I could trust SHIELD completely yet, but for now I put on a trusting face and followed Natasha to the bridge of the ship.

The bridge was obviously the main centre of activity on the helicarrier. All along the sides of the big room were rows of computers with analysts typing away, headsets on and black leather on. There was a large walkway down the middle, and at the end closest to us was a gleaming control panel. Standing at the panel, his long black coat swaying slightly behind him, was Director Fury. He turned to greet us, his one eye staring at me, almost into my soul. I looked at the ground.

Fury moved towards us.

"Gentleman," he greeted Rogers and Banner. Rogers handed him a crumpled $10 bill, all whilest looking out the huge window at the front of the bridge.

"And lady," Fury extended his hand to shake mine. I shook it reluctantly, as did Banner after me.

"Doctor, thank you for coming," Fury said, and stood back. I was still clutching the screen to my chest, and my precious backpack was on my back. The tingling in my hands had quickly become almost normal, but a headache throbbed at my temples.

I spotted Agent Coulson standing down below us with a group of other agents. I strode over there.

"Agent Coulson," I greeted him. He turned around swiftly.

"Miss Walsh, great to see you. Did Fitzsimmons treat you well?" He said grinning a ridiculous grin.

"Fine. I assume you've seen a report of their discoveries?" I said, knowing he most definitely had.

"I did. Interesting stuff. Very, interesting," Coulson frowned, before averting his eyes to something on the right of me.

"Where are you with that?" I heard Banner say. Coulson adjusted the screen in his hands and cleared his throat.

"We're sweeping every wirelessly accessible camera on the planet. Cellphones, laptops. If it's connected to a satellite, it's eyes and ears for us."

His comment made me automatically feel in my jacket pocket for my phone. It was creepy, the way this organization had access to everyone's cellphones and computers. They could see anything. Although I knew in this instance it was for the greater good, it still made my skin crawl.

"That's still not gonna find them in time," Natasha said. She was crouched on the ground, looking at a photo of an attractive man shooting arrows from a sleek black bow. She stood up as she spoke.

"You have to narrow the field. How many spectrometers do you have access to?" Banner rambled. I rolled my eyes and looked over at Rogers. He had the same look on his face that I did. Neither of us had any idea what Banner was on about.

"Do you have somewhere for me to work?" I heard Banner say. I pursed my lips, desperate for a cigarette.

"Agent Romanoff, would you show Dr Banner to his laboratory, please?" Natasha nodded and lead Banner out of the room.

"You're gonna love it, Doc. We got all the toys."

Fury turned to Rogers and I.

"Agent Coulson, would you mind taking Captain Rogers up to the satellite desk? Miss Walsh and I will join you up there," Fury said staring at me. Coulson lead Rogers up a set of metal stairs, blabbing on about something. My gaze was focused on Fury. He returned my stare.

"Follow me."

Fury lead me back the way we came, until we reached a sliver sliding door.

"Place your bag in here. It will be safe," he pushed a small keyboard and the door opened with a hiss. I walked into the room. There was a small bed and table, with another door which lead to a bathroom. I dumped my bag on the bed, once pulling out my cigarettes and lighter and stuffing them in my pocket.

The door shut behind me and I jumped. Fury leaned against it.

"Does anyone know?" He said sternly.

"Know what?" I replied, feigning ignorance.

"Good. I'd like to keep it that way," he said, opening the door behind me.
Feeling the familiarity of the cigarette packet in my pocket, I exited the room.

When we entered the satellite desk, Rogers was leaning up against the railing next to Coulson, his arms crossed and muscles bulging. I almost couldn't take my eyes off them.

"I mean, if it's not too much trouble," Coulson was saying. Rogers stared at me as we entered.

"No no, it's fine," he said, not breaking eye contact with me. Coulson continued talking, not realizing Rogers was no longer listening.

"It's a vintage set. It took me a couple of years to collect them all. Near mint, slight foxing around the edges, but..."

My head whipped around as a bald man with big glasses spun around in his chair suddenly.

"We got a hit. 67% match. Wait, cross match, 79%." I peered over him at the screen. A slightly blurry photo of a handsome man with long dark hair and sharp cheekbones covered the screen.

"Location?" Coulson was all business now. Gone was the flustering fangirl I'd seen just moments earlier.

"Stuttgart, Germany. 28, Konigstrasse. He's not exactly hiding," the bald man said. Fury, who had remained silent, now turned to Rogers.

"Captain, you're up." Rogers nodded, then uncrossed his arms and strode away.

"Miss Walsh, you'll be accompanying Agent Romanoff in the quin jet, as backup," Fury told me. I nodded.

There was a secret meaning behind his words. I knew that he would have me fight alongside Captain Rogers if he could. But I was backup, which really meant that I was to be used in case Rogers needed someone who couldn't control what they were doing.

Which he wouldn't.
It was Captain America we were talking about.

Authors Note
So, we're in business! Tension is high between Steve and Keight. Comment please I'd love to hear your thoughts!