Chapter Twenty Nine

In unison, thousands more Chitauri emerged from the portal in the sky, rushing over buildings and filling the air with screams. All of us looked up in awe, and my muscles tightened in anticipation. We were outnumbered.

Very, very, very  outnumbered.

"Guys," Natasha's voice wavered. It perfectly represented my mood at that moment.

Dread.

"Call it Cap," Tony said. I was taken aback. Tony Stark giving up the reins? It was unheard of.

"Alright, listen up. Until we can close that portal up there, we're gonna use containment. Barton, I want you on that roof, eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays. Stark, you got the perimeter. Anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it around or you turn it to ash. " I could almost see Tony smiling inside the suit, and Barton grinned like a kid on Christmas.

"Wanna give me a lift?" He said to Tony.

"Right. Better clench up, Legolas," Tony gripped Barton around the waist and lifted him up into the air. Rogers continued dishing out orders.

"Thor, you've gotta try and bottleneck that portal. Slow em down. You've got the lightning. Light the bastards up." Thor stared darkly at me before spinning his magnificent hammer and flying away.

Rogers turned to Natasha, Banner/Hulk and I.
"Us, we stay here on the ground. Keep the fighting here. And Hulk?" He pointed up at the green monster.

"Smash."

The incredible Hulk smiled a most brilliant green grin and leapt soaring into the air, landing on a building and snapping Chitauri soldiers in half like twigs. As he threw the bodies of Chitauri at other soldiers, Rogers, Natasha and I prepared to face the new onslaught of aliens coming our way.

And so we fought.

While we punched, kicked and dirty fought our way through the hoards of Chitauri, Thor summoned a huge bolt of lightning from the sky and bought it crashing down onto the portal. It electrocuted hundreds of Chitauri at once, and they fell to the earth. A huge alien fish (I'm sure they had another name) fell to the ground with an enormous thud.

We fought off as many Chitauri as we could while Barton and Tony kept the skies relatively clear. I blasted holes in every Chitauri I could get my hands on.

As each one fell I hoped it might help redeem me, just a tiny bit, from the innocent people I had already killed.

Barton and Tony kept the skies in check while we kicked butt down below. But I could see Natasha tiring before my very eyes. She wasn't enhanced like Rogers. At least, I didn't think she was.
Natasha leaned up against the Chitauri gun she held, having just blasted an alien in oblivion.

"Captain, none of this is gonna mean a damn thing if we don't close that portal," she said, breathing heavily.

"Our biggest guns couldn't touch it," Rogers landed neatly beside me, his eyes flickering to me before landing on Natasha.

"Well maybe it's not about guns," Natasha gestured above us, where the flying alien chariots zoomed ahead.
My eyes widened.

"That's not a bad idea," I said, watching Rogers take a couple of steps backwards.

"You wanna get up there, you're gonna need a ride." He positioned his shield in front of him, his knees bent and muscles clenched.

"I got a ride. I could use a lift though," she flirted shamelessly, but Rogers was oblivious.
Natasha backed a few paces.
"You sure about this?" Rogers asked.
Natasha smiled at me.
"Yeah, it's gonna be fun."

She ran at Rogers, and using a car to get momentum jumped onto Roger's sheild. He pushed her upwards, and in a blur she had grabbed onto a Chitauri chariot and was flying away.

As Rogers and I attempt to take on the Chitauri coming for us, I notice a bunch of Chitauri chariots tailing Natasha from behind. I was about to say something when Tony appeared around the corner and wiped out the Chitauri following her. 

I made my way behind Rogers, and we fought back to back together, while Tony zoomed in from the sky. He pointed his hand at Rogers.

A blazing light filled my vision as Rogers used his shield as a reflection beam with Tony's fire power, and together they knocked off dozens of Chitauri, while I fought the ones behind him.

Chaos reigned supreme, while my team fought off the never ending supply of Chitauri.
It was odd, referring to them as my team. A group of completely different people that had come together to protect the people that needed to be protected.

People like Max and Bri.
People like family.

Authors Note
I couldn't resist updating eek