Chapter Six

The ride was long, and if May and Coulson thought I would fall asleep, I proved them wrong. My eyes were wide open, and my hands quivered as they rested on the seat. When the SUV finally came to a halt, Coulson instructed May to release me, which she did harshly and without a word. I rubbed my wrists and slung my backpack onto my shoulder as I exited the vehicle. I winced in the harsh sunlight, and as my eyes adjusted to  the glare I surveyed the situation. We were in an almost empty parking lot, with only a few scattered cars and motorbikes around the space. A big building with at least three levels was at one end, and there was a sign across the front of its pristinely blue painted wall above the door that read:

Dr Carter and Co.

Private Health Clinic of Virginia

Below that in smaller writing it said:

BY REFEREAL ONLY

"We're in Virginia," I said, glancing around. "How did we get here so fast?"

"We may have spent some time on a plane. A big one," Coulson said, pulling out his screen and tapping buttons and such. May stepped in beside him and touched his arm softly.

"I'm heading back to the office. There's always more paperwork to file," she said, and Coulson fare welled her with a smile and a nod. She cast a hard look at me, before sauntering over to a white Toyota Corolla and driving away, the acrid smoke from the exhaust making me cough.

" So, this is where you're going to help me? A secret SHIELD base disguised as a private clinic," I said, waving my hands to get rid of the smoke. Coulson frowned down at his screen, forehead furrowed.

"As much as I want to stay, something has come up," he said, not looking at me.

"You're leaving me?"

"Don't worry. I'll walk you in. You're in very capable hands, so I'm told," he said, glancing up with a smile that looked more like a grimace. I threw my hands in the air and groaned.

"And you don't even know who you're leaving me with. Just great," I huffed, folding my arms across my chest, the now familiar buzz radiating up and down my spine, flitting over my hands. At least here, I hoped I wouldn't be able to hurt anyone.

Coulson started walking without me and I jogged to catch up. When we reached the building, he opened the glass door for me, and I stepped into the clean and pristine lobby.

Seated in what looked like the waiting room was one man, ruggedly handsome with dark stubble lining his jaw and rippling muscles, who eyed me with curiosity, his lips pressed together tightly. I stared back and could have sworn I saw blood splatters on his face, and rust coloured spots across his knuckles.

"That's Agent Ward. Don't mind him, he always looks like that," Coulson said before dragging me away. I couldn't help but notice the way Ward watched me, as if he knew me, and he smiled, teeth flashing before I turned away.

We approached the reception desk, and a woman on the phone looked our way, her purple cats eye glasses and impossibly pink lipstick judging me already.

"Walsh, to see FitzSimmons," Coulson said quietly. The woman nodded curtly.

"Of course. I will send Agent Ward in for debriefing right away," she said, slamming down the phone. Someone behind me jumped, but Coulson remained steady. Footsteps echoed on the floorboards behind me, and Ward sidled up to the desk. He smelt like soot, and blood. I turned away. The woman handed him a badge, his name and photo stamped across it and gestured to the hallway.

"Coulson. Good to see you," Ward said, still not leaving. I felt his heavy gaze on me. Something about him made me uncomfortable, made me squirm a little.