The truth

My eyes were closed while my body was laying on a comfortable mattress. I've never felt something this comfortable in years. I didn't even want to move. All I wanted was to enjoy this little moment I had for myself.

But I should've known better. Not everything worked in the way I wanted.

I heard two different voices, near me. I knew they were arguing because they didn't even try to be quiet. Was that how people were behaving when someone was sleeping beside them ? Even in this psycho asylum I was in, they weren't talking that loud when they entered in my room while I was sleeping. Well, when I was pretending to sleep.

I wasn't in that psychiatric hospital anymore. That Jace guy, who claimed to be a Shadowhunter even though I didn't know what it was, got me out of there. He saved me from the drugs, the nurses and myself. I didn't know if I would've been able to let myself live if I had to spend the rest of my life in another asylum.

Jace gave me the slight hope I needed, the hope I had been seeking for. I believed he had the power to put a sense to what I was seeing, and I couldn't wait to hear what he had to tell me.

But right now, the only thing I heard were the two voices. One was Jace's but I didn't recognize the other one. I kept pretending to sleep (I got pretty good at that) and listened to their conversation.

"You just don't get a girl out of an asylum, bring her to the Institute and then expect me to be okay with it." I heard the guy I couldn't recognize, say.

"Do you trust me ?" Jace asked.

There was a silence for a moment, and I was tempted to open my eyes to see what Jace's friend was waiting for. Even though my eyes were closed, I could feel the tension in the room.

"It's her I don't trust. You don't even know this girl, Jace. Do you realize that you might've brought a psychopath here ?"

I mentally rolled my eyes. "I heard that." I said in a raspy voice due to the fact that I just woke up.

I opened my eyes and rubbed my eyes to adjust to the light around me. I felt my heart beat faster when I realized that I was finally seeing something new after 8 years of being trapped inside the same walls.

I looked at the room around me, before my eyes fell on a girl who was sitting at the edge of the bed I was on. She was so beautiful that she made me feel insecure, now more than I've ever been. Back at the hospital, I didn't care about what I looked like because no one cared. But seeing her all dressed up with makeup on, made me realize that I probably looked like nothing right now.

I turned my gaze and I finally saw who Jace was arguing with. The guy was taller than him and looked like the girl on the bed in some ways. Unlike the girl, he stared at me, annoyed. He was the one who thought I was crazy so I understood why he was staring at me like that. It still made me feel uncomfortable to be stared at, by three strangers.

"Uh...Hi." I said.

"Hi, I'm Isabelle Lightwood but call me Izzy."

I nodded. "Leila King." I only said.

Isabelle was the only who seemed friendly, at least when we first looked at her. Since I didn't know her, I didn't want to assume things about her and be disappointed later.

I looked at Jace and the guy in front of him. When I looked at them, I realized that they had the same tattoos, although not on the same spots. Were they really tattoos ?

"Is this the Institute ?" I asked them.

"You even talked about that ?" the no-name guy asked Jace.